How Did She Do It?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I'm not being difficult here, but can we really say Romero's swing isn't as effective and just place it all on being athletic and being blessed genetically.
Did you miss the part where I said part of what makes her good is that while her mechanics may not generate a very good path they do obviously generate good bat speed, in particular at contact? ;) Those two things are not necessarily perfectly correlated.

Anyway, your question is akin to asking what makes Steph Curry or made Larry Bird such great shooters. Part of it is genetic, part of it is mechanics, part of it is mental and part of it is how hard they worked.

May 12, 2016
Did you miss the part where I said part of what makes her good is that while her mechanics may not generate a very good path they do obviously generate good bat speed, in particular at contact?;) Those two things are not necessarily perfectly correlated.

Anyway, your question is akin to asking what makes Steph Curry or made Larry Bird such great shooters. Part of it is genetic, part of it is mechanics, part of it is mental and part of it is how hard they worked.
Yes I missed that, :). "Not a very good path"... isn't it? That's the part I struggle with, there are many great power hitters with this type of bat path. Obviously this bat path worked for her.

But why did you compare Curry to Bird in your initial response?

Jun 8, 2016
Yes I missed that, :)

But why did you compare Curry to Bird in your initial response?
Lol..is that a swipe at my Larry Bird adoration or a legitimate question ;)
Wasn't really a comparison only that they were both good shooters and trying
to pinpoint why can be difficult in general...

May 12, 2016
Lol..is that a swipe at my Larry Bird adoration or a legitimate question ;)
Wasn't really a comparison only that they were both good shooters and trying
to pinpoint why can be difficult in general...
I'm talking about your comparison between Kretschman and Romero.. you looked at a point in Kretschman 's career where she had a better BA. Why?

Jun 8, 2016
I'm talking about your comparison between Kretschman and Romero.. you looked at a point in Kretschman 's career where she had a better BA. Why?
Kretschman has what people typically consider a HL swing and against the same pitching hit almost 200 points higher...that is why I made the comparison.

May 12, 2016
Kretschman has what people typically consider a HL swing and against the same pitching hit almost 200 points higher...that is why I made the comparison.

Summer 2018...

This is why I didn't want to get into a comparison battle. Romero has found success and has out performed others of equal athletic ability and talent with the same level of pitching. But I am not interested in comparing, she's obviously a very successful hitter at the highest level. That's why I asked how did she do it with the swing she has. The Kretschman comparison and her HL swing holds no water.

Jun 8, 2016
Summer 2018...

View attachment 14026

This is why I didn't want to get into a comparison battle. Romero has found success and has out performed others of equal athletic ability and talent with the same level of pitching. But I am not interested in comparing, she's obviously a very successful hitter at the highest level. That's why I asked how did she do it with the swing she has. The Kretschman comparison and her HL swing holds no water.

She was 38 almost 39 last summer but ok. She hit .500 for a whole year in professional softball..you ever hit .500 at any level of baseball/softball? I don't even think I did that in LL.

Not sure what sort of validation you are looking for here..there are a number of videos on youtube breaking down Romero's swing if that really was what you were looking for. If you think your DD has Romero-like actions then post her swing like you said you were going to do 2 or 3 times the last few months and I am sure everybody will chime in.

Don't get me wrong, if my DD ends up hitting half as well as Romero does then I will be pleased. Her swing obviously works for her. I am just not sure that you would want to use all of her actions when describing a model swing, that's all I am saying.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
She was 38 almost 39 last summer but ok. She hit .500 for a whole year in professional softball..you ever hit .500 at any level of baseball/softball? I don't even think I did that in LL.

Not sure what sort of validation you are looking for here..there are a number of videos on youtube breaking down Romero's swing if that really was what you were looking for. If you think your DD has Romero-like actions then post her swing like you said you were going to do 2 or 3 times the last few months and I am sure everybody will chime in.

Don't get me wrong, if my DD ends up hitting half as well as Romero does then I will be pleased. Her swing obviously works for her. I am just not sure that you would want to use all of her actions when describing a model swing, that's all I am saying.
Good for her, this topic is not about KK, you brought her into the pic in an attempt to discredit Romero's success, and all because KK has what's considered a HL swing. Now you are bringing her age into play as well. I'm sorry man, people find other ways of doing it and they even outplay, outperform, outhit people with equal abilities at the same level. I'm not discrediting KK, it's an awesome achievement, but if you want to start comparing you need to look at the big picture not just one year in her career.

Regarding my DD, why are you even bringing her into this discussion? Really pattar, I'm surprised. I will post a fKN vid of her when it stops fkn snowing in Canada. I could only wish my DD had Romero like actions and talent as well. That will never be the case and that's ok with me and her. She loves the game, she enjoys working hard at it, and I enjoy discussing it.

I can watch Youtube and search the internet and research Romero's swing and others who had/have a lot success without the "model" swing myself. However this has been a great resource for discussion. I am not naive though, I know posting somebody on here hitting lasers without the model swing will get some peoples panties in a twist.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
urg3LbL.gif

May 12, 2016
See I don't understand how that ball leaves the yard... Looks to me like she's just clipping the bottom of the ball, not getting behind it and up though it. I understand she has very good body actions, but I am looking at bat on ball. Would that ball have went further if she was behind and up through it. Is she trying to and really creating that much back spin? Because I see the bat going in one direction(down), and the ball another(up).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06