How Did She Do It?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

‘The fastest point to the ball is straight down’.

‘Throw the bat head’ I prefer release the bat head.

Gotta have a good sequence as well or you will chop down.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
In believe this was an outside pitch, looking at the catchers mitt and how they are trying to frame it.. idk, to tough to tell. But that would explain letting it get a little deeper. I don't think Romero is known for turning the barrel (knob) deep in the zone.. I could be wrong though.

I think it is an outside pitch as well. That also changes the angle of the swing. It's always a challenge looking at swings in 2D when they really happen in 3D. Body positions change...

Jun 8, 2016
Open to all methods, approaches, techniques etc etc..
I am not even sure what this means. I've said it at least 3 times in this thread. She generates good bat speed as she uses her core well but I don't like her path as much at least in the swings I have seen. The combination of her athleticism, hand-eye coordination and hard-work makes it work for her in a situation where you don't need to square up a ball and still get a HR (e.g. 220 foot fences with hot bats). Her path is a bit different than 99% of elite hitters at the most difficult level to hit (MLB)....that probably should mean something.

You are starting to sound too much like another tough guy on Twitter/Instagram..
Sure..difference is he is an out of shape 60 year old....Amazing how much that guy gets under everybodies
skin so much that he is brought up randomly in at least 95% of threads on here.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I would be interested in seeing this clip a frame or two earlier... If we look strictly at barrel path, I don't think we see the path that some experts would like to see. Perhaps a little too steep... Not "behind and through" enough... However, this clip does show that she turns the barrel deep behind her (turn the knob quickly, if you prefer... :) ) and is making contact on the right side of her body. She also makes contact on this particular pitch very deep. It looks like slightly behind her front knee. Obviously that is a product of timing on this pitch. To be honest, it may not be exactly what the so called "experts" look for in a HL swing, but I have always been a fan of hers.

Here is the full clip.

4KSekC7.gif

Jun 8, 2016
That was good engagement, but poor execution in your player comparison which is why I questioned it and then called it out after it didn't make sense. You didn't like that obviously...
Nice edit...

May 12, 2016
I am not even sure what this means. I've said it at least 3 times in this thread. She generates good bat speed as she uses her core well but I don't like her path as much at least in the swings I have seen. The combination of her athleticism, hand-eye coordination and hard-work makes it work for her in a situation where you don't need to square up a ball and still get a HR (e.g. 220 foot fences with hot bats). Her path is a bit different than 99% of elite hitters at the most difficult level to hit (MLB)....that probably should mean something.

Sure..difference is he is an out of shape 60 year old....

Are we preparing our DD's to play in the MLB? You've seen the initial video, right? You believe that she could hit the ball harder than that if her path was emulating MLB player?

I was surprised at her path actually, it was front toss, more arc on the ball which I figured would lead to a more upward path into the ball. Considering harder pitches are flatter (and yes there are exceptions) wouldn't her path be more applicable/effective(getting behind and through the ball) in a game situation then it is with a front toss which drops more

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

Sure..difference is he is an out of shape 60 year old....Amazing how much that guy gets under everybodies

It is interesting. I don't think he has ever been a member here, although he was on some of the other sites we visit. The ironic thing is that I'm sure all of the talk about him (positive and negative) is creating more followers on his twitter account. Kind of like the Dallas Cowboys. Some people love them. Some people hate them. But EVERYONE has an opinion...

Jun 8, 2016
Are we preparing our DD's to play in the MLB?
So baseball swings are different than softball swings? Fact of the matter is it is harder to get a hit in MLB than in HL women's softball just from a pure statistical perspective.Unless you think the swings should be different than it would makes to look at what the best hitters do in MLB.
You believe that she could hit the ball harder than that if her path was emulating MLB player?

I was surprised at her path actually, it was front toss, more arc on the ball which I figured would lead to a more upward path into the ball. Considering harder pitches are flatter (and yes there are exceptions) wouldn't her path be more applicable/effective in a game situation then it is with a front toss which drops more
Probably not harder but in games she would probably barrel up more balls..that is my take at least. Hitting "lasers" in front toss from 20 feet coming in at 30 mph isn't exactly difficult for a good hitter.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Are we preparing our DD's to play in the MLB? You've seen the initial video, right? You believe that she could hit the ball harder than that if her path was emulating MLB player?

I was surprised at her path actually, it was front toss, more arc on the ball which I figured would lead to a more upward path into the ball. Considering harder pitches are flatter (and yes there are exceptions) wouldn't her path be more applicable/effective(getting behind and through the ball) in a game situation then it is with a front toss which drops more

It is possible for hitters to succeed with less than ideal mechanics at different levels (not saying Romero...). IMO, the most important factor is adjustability/timing. Part of that is definitely mechanics. But some is athleticism as well. I remember this one girl that DD played against in high school. Most people here would not care for her swing at all, regardless of their views. But against weaker pitching, she would routinely hit the ball 250 feet. Against better pitching, she was lucky to reach base.

May 12, 2016
Nice edit... sounds a little like admiration

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478