How are A or B teams decided?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2019
Is it honor system? Or, do the tournaments somehow rate the teams? Mainly talking USSSA and PGF.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Honor. In CA, rec leagues are B or C, depending on size and all-star performance history. In travel ball, all team are A, regardless of how crappy they are. That said, this only relates to USA Softball categories. PGF, TCS, USSSA don't have separate divisions for TB events.

May 17, 2012
PGF has two divisions but that really only comes into play with (qualifiers for) the year end tournament (do you want regional or national).

May 17, 2012
Is it honor system? Or, do the tournaments somehow rate the teams? Mainly talking USSSA and PGF.

For USSSA you typically roster your team as "A", "B", or "C" for certain qualifying tournaments. This limits team hopping and playing down (somewhat). There are all sorts of rules and exceptions.

Jul 14, 2018
USSSA (in the northeast, anyway) the team decides which level to register. They have a pretty good ranking system where teams are rated based on the strength of the teams they beat. I have seen a few teams with really high power ratings get pushed to the next level up when it was clear that they were playing below their level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
For USSSA you typically roster your team as "A" or "B" for certain qualifying tournaments. This limits team hopping and playing down (somewhat).

Hmmm...This is something I have never seen in So Cal. That said, we haven't played a lot of USSSA events. Generally speaking, USSSA events are smaller and tend to be ignored by the top-level teams.

Jul 31, 2015
PGF has platinum and premier. Teams qualify at or are invited to one level or the other.

USSSA is self-decided I believe. It's usually obvious if a team is competing at the wrong level.
Local officials will move a team up or down after a couple tourneys if they aren't competitive or are trouncing everyone at the current level.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Local officials will move a team up or down after a couple tourneys if they aren't competitive or are trouncing everyone at the current level.

I have not come across any governing body that exercises that authority for TB. Rec ball all-stars, yes.

Jul 14, 2018
I have not come across any governing body that exercises that authority for TB. Rec ball all-stars, yes.

Happens every year in U-Trip. Although honestly, I don’t remember a team ever being made to move down, but some have asked and been approved.

Basically, nobody registers as A because it severely limits your tournament choices. With only 10 or so teams in A, you wind up playing all open tournaments anyway. There are certain teams/coaches who only register as A, but that’s more ego than a reflection of their talent level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish