'HONEY you should have had that grounder'

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Cant imagine coaching teenage boys saying,
Come on Honey get your glove down
Has anyone heard that toward teenage boys?

Just say
Get your glove down.

Leave out the poopsie sweety honey garbage on the field.

Mar 20, 2019
Around Baltimore you'll get Hon all the time male or female it's a local term. I always use girls or ladies when referring to the team, individuals I'll use their name/nickname or number but I'm usually dealing with a 7U coach pitch team these days. Never would use honey or sweetheart. My DDs know it's coach not dad when were on the field. Growing up we never had first names it was either last names or nicknames.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Mar 10, 2020
Without reading through 3 pages of comments, I think context has alot to do with how it should be perceived.
To begin with an adult coach saying honey to a teenager is out of context. It has zero purpose at a team function.
Questioning how your dd interpreted it would be warranted to make sure she's ok. Then to explain why its not ok.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I've been called Honey, Darling, ... all of my life and trust me, I'm not good looking. This type of stuff is yet another indicator that I need to be done coaching. If I have to worry about political correctness in every phase of coaching, I simply am not cut out to do that. Heck, my players have said that my looks could kill but never my words did harm.

Mar 10, 2020
I've been called Honey, Darling, ... all of my life and trust me, I'm not good looking. This type of stuff is yet another indicator that I need to be done coaching. If I have to worry about political correctness in every phase of coaching, I simply am not cut out to do that. Heck, my players have said that my looks could kill but never my words did harm.
Know your boundaries and there is no worry.
If its that hard for you to not coach without words of endearment
then i will agree you should not coach.
Along with the impact it may make on the adolescent.
It can have ramifications on the adult do to perceived context. As @JOHNN noted. The wildfire from this can spread quickly.
At the college level the coaches arent even supposed to touch a player.
These type of words would get a h.s. and college coach suspended.
If not worse.

Dec 5, 2017
I've been called honey, hun, darlin, by women I don't know my whole life. Hell, I was called sweet pea at Taco Bell by a girl that might have been 15. Should I have demanded to speak to her manager for crossing some imaginary boundary? I was also called a hell of a lot worse by every basketball, baseball and football coach I ever had. Who cares, it's a word. If you think someone that has coached as long as Cannonball has should retire over calling someone honey then you are what's wrong with society and all this cancel culture b.s. is ridiculous. How about if someone doesn't like being called a certain word then they have a talk with coach about it? Everyone expects these kids to discuss any other issues with coach and act like adults, why not in this situation? We are raising a society full of candy asses and frankly it sickens me as much as it makes me sad. Btw, I never call any girls I coach honey, it's usually girls or ladies.

Apr 28, 2014
With all the things in the world to be personally triggered by not sure where this fits on the list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad