'HONEY you should have had that grounder'

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
When I was playing youth/high school sports, my coaches typically referred to the team as "guys". When I became a coach, I started using the term "ladies". Not sure if that is appropriate anymore, but I never received any complaints. One year I coached a co-ed basketball team and simply referred to the group as "team". I never use the term "honey" with anyone. That includes my wife and daughter. However, there is a female associate in our building that refers to everyone as "honey". It doesn't matter if they are male or female, it is her standard greeting for everyone. While I do not think it is appropriate for her to call me "honey", I can't say it is something that offends me. I have learned to ignore it.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Never used honey. Could imagine saying "listen up Honeys." "Ladies" when addressing a group. When addressing an individual "Sweetheart" is my politically incorrect terminology. Shoot me and hang me by my *alls. I mean in today's day and age isn't "ladies" going to by offensive to some. Everybody is so thin skinned.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I like nicknames those can be
interesting.

Is that different because its a tag name / moniker for them?

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Is it ok (in all of your esteemed, collective wisdom) for a player to call others on the team "Honey"? Asking for a friend....pffft.

I wonder if it’s a regional thing. I’m in the south. Go in a restaurant here and I might get called honey or sweetheart a half dozen times ....of course they might just be wanting a bigger tip lol. I also feel like I call my DD honey sometimes. To me it’s no different than calling my son buddy. To me if the coach called her honey it would be in what context did it occur? “Honey you got to do better” wouldn’t really bother me nor do I think she’d think twice about it.

Feb 3, 2016
Agree with Travis. Will add depending on age and what level of play too. Some players can't take the full force of Coaches yelling get in front of the ball and make that play or pulling that player immediately etc.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

May 6, 2015
Sweetheart is mine and DWs term for the voice from our GPS. As in, when we veer of course "Sweetheart, just getting some gas", or "getting something to eat , want something sweetheart" of course other times we are calling sweetheart a dumb #@$%$^*(((VR$@

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
How does the rest of the team learn from that mistake if you can't explain in to everyone. Sure, don't blatantly yell at a girl in front of everyone, but there is nothing wrong with highlighting a teachable moment.

Coddling and always trying to make sure you don't "upset the girls" is not preparing them for life. I treat my team how I would treat my daughter.
The rest of the team did not make the mistake. I talk to the individual who did to ensure they know what they did incorrectly and what they should have done to avoid possible confusion because there will be other chances.

I have found that "upsetting the girls" makes them play tight. They are afraid to take chances and thus never play to their potential.

Oct 4, 2018
Never used honey. Could imagine saying "listen up Honeys." "Ladies" when addressing a group. When addressing an individual "Sweetheart" is my politically incorrect terminology. Shoot me and hang me by my *alls. I mean in today's day and age isn't "ladies" going to by offensive to some. Everybody is so thin skinned.

No. "Ladies" isn't going to offend anyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00