hitting training aid

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Has anyone had any experience with a hitting aid called the "pro hammer bat"? I saw a you tube video on it and I think I will buy one but I was hoping to get some real feedback first. Thanks, James

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Has anyone had any experience with a hitting aid called the "pro hammer bat"? I saw a you tube video on it and I think I will buy one but I was hoping to get some real feedback first. Thanks, James

Lot's of aids out there, but none yet that I've seen that are a magic bullet. I'd spend my money on a couple tees, 1-2 dozen TCB balls, and 2 bownets. If there's extra money, then buy a pitching machine/bats/helmets/bags, bring in an outside expert (i.e., coaching, strategy, agility, strength, fielding, hitting, video, recruiting), or take the team out for ice cream/dinner/ball game. IMO, most aids end up sitting unused in the closet/trunk/garage/basement.

Jan 24, 2011
Lot's of aids out there, but none yet that I've seen that are a magic bullet. I'd spend my money on a couple tees, 1-2 dozen TCB balls, and 2 bownets. If there's extra money, then buy a pitching machine/bats/helmets/bags, bring in an outside expert (i.e., coaching, strategy, agility, strength, fielding, hitting, video, recruiting), or take the team out for ice cream/dinner/ball game. IMO, most aids end up sitting unused in the closet/trunk/garage/basement.

Well , at least you gave him some feedback on the specific item he asked about :rolleyes:

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Ive got plenty of tees and tcb balls and even some new mojo balls... this tool actually allows the girls to hit real balls from live bp. Its design will force them to hit square and maintain the proper hand/wrist alignment at contact. I have a few girls who still want to roll their wrists before contact and a couple that will release their barrel too soon causing a roll and bat wrap. Im not a fan of some other aids because the bat is light and cant be used on real balls. But the pro hammer has a game bat weight and feel.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Ok, I have one of those. It's the SB model. I also just got the P4 which is the 34" drop 3 baseball model. I had a P2 and sold that 32" size on eBay after my older daughter outgrew it. (I'm not keeping the P4, more on that to follow.)

I like it although we don't use it a lot. We tend to do more with regular bats and a variety of PVC bats that Howard Carrier designed. The mechanics demonstrated on the Pro-hammer site aren't that great looking to me.

Here is the thing: I am a big believer in having a goal in mind with every drill or training aid. I'm not sure I know exactly why I like the Pro-Hammer. It does seem like you get a bit of "throw the bat head" effect and it does seem to encourage good grip and top hand action. We only use it off a tee. I recently got an 8oz. Procut knob weight and might try that with the Prohammer.

Coach James, it might very well help with the specific issues you list. I'm not sure I would count on being able to use it with front toss though, it is a challenge to use. (Not necessarily a bad thing!)

I'm going to send the P4 back. It is big and heavy, even for girls who swing a 34/25 RT. I hit tennis balls off a tee yesterday and it was heavy for me. I felt like I was casting and getting around the ball.

I don't know if I would recommend it but we do use it more than some of the junk I have bought.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
I'm going to add this James, with the disclaimer that I am just a bucket dad, that if I was trying to fix what you are talking about AND I had a Prohammer, I would use the PH as PART of the solution with bat throwing sessions, split grip drill, reverse top hand drill and one knee drill... It only takes more time than any coach has!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish