Hitting- to eliminate the bat lag/ long to the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
Thome looks like he’s pulling his hands across his body more than he should - is that the correct hand path, or is he restricted while wearing a suit and not moving his feet?

I would think his hands would travel along the batters box line a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Thome looks like he’s pulling his ha SS across his body more than he should - is that the correct hand path, or is he restricted while wearing a suit and not moving his feet?

I would think his hands would travel along the batters box line a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imo it’s a timing thing. Context.. he was demoing up the middle etc. what I like is the constraint and the adjustment needed to stay inside the ball.

you could teach a hitter to let it travel or pull correctly with the drill.

May 16, 2019
I like what WW said about timing... not all but some bat drag is trying to hit the ball too far in front. It can also be hard to correct by stepping to early and getting weight forward when your not really ready to swing the bat because the ball is not in the zone, going forward but trying to stay back.

Not trying to open a can of worms here but try letting your swing put your foot down and see if that helps get you closer to your desired swing and the timing of it

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Saw I video with batters doing tee work while hugging a fitness ball. Thought that might be an interesting way to eliminate drag.

Aug 20, 2017
My advice on dealing with drag is to get the hitter in a post stride, max stretched position. Gonna have to tinker with them to make sure there is no slack in this position. This is an exaggerated drill! After tinkering with them make sure they can get into it and hold it without your assistance. Once they can get into it themselves, have them hit balls off a high tee thinking use only legs (thinking legs is critical). They’ll knock the tee over the first few times. Watch to make sure back elbow isn’t slotting too quickly. Once they can hit comfortably on high tee without slotting elbow early lower the tee to waist height and continue same drill. Then to a low tee. Tell them to maintain a tight, high turn and stay behind ball. This progression worked for my DD.

Ive found this same progression useful for all hitters. Many have never felt max stretch, no slack in swing. We use feet together stride hit drill next to continue to work on getting into and maintaining this stretch while also monitoring drag. If drag occurs go back to the above.

Drag is a symptom of a rushed sequence. Check the hips to make sure they are not opening prematurely during stride. Hope that helps!

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
The only 'drill' that works is to do a dry stride in a mirror. Make sure the rear forearm is flat/level at toe touch. It's as simple as that.

And, of course, while you're striding, make sure you are coiling inward, not out, as you go.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Need to learn to use the hands TTB.....

Posted by FFS:
Jul 21, 2011 at 11:32pm FiveFrameSwing said:
Bold ... certainly not a strength issue. I have some kids with little strength that no longer drag the barrel. I also had a fairly strong kid that was dragging the barrel something fierce, that had to learn the hard way the importance of turning the barrel.

What is “bat drag”?

This shouldn’t confuse anyone.

People should simply refuse to allow ‘bat drag’ to be a mystery.

Ask yourself why the checkpoint of having the rear elbow ahead of the hands, at the RVP connection point position, is referred to as ‘bat drag’.

It’s not a trick question. Why is it called ‘bat drag’?

What an interesting name … “bat drag”. Why not call it a different name? …. Maybe call it “Bad Position #1”. Do you suppose that the name “bat drag” was simply made up? …. Or could it be that the name actually was descriptive of the actual issue?

Here’s a hint … the term ‘bat drag’ has to do with both the ‘bat’ and ‘drag’. In fact, it has to do with the ‘action’ of ‘dragging’ the ‘bat barrel’ … and hence the name ‘bat drag’ … which simply stands for a ‘bat barrel being dragged’.

Yes, ‘bat drag’ is the ‘dragging’ of the ‘bat barrel’. The name “bat drag” wasn’t made up out of thin air … the name itself actually spells out the issue.

How clever …. It was actually given a name that was descriptive of the problem. Who would think of doing that? Better yet … who would be confused by that?

The joke of course is to take a name, that is completely descriptive of the problem, and convince people that it is a mystery.

Sorry … if you were looking for a complicated answer … you won’t find it in this post.

You can wait until the “RVP connection point position” to detect severe cases of ‘bat drag’, or you can detect the issue earlier … you simply need to look at the barrel path … and if you know to look at the barrel path, and if you know the relationship between ‘hand pressure’ and the ‘barrel path’, … then you know that ‘hand pressure’ can influence the ‘barrel path’ … which in turn influences whether or not the “bat” barrel is being “dragged” … as in “bat drag”.

Yes … it’s true. There is a relationship between the “hands” and what happens to the “bat barrel”. Why that is a surprise to anyone … I don’t know.

So what is the secret to curing ‘bat drag’?

The secret is in the hands (along with their synchronized use). Believe it or not … but you actually have control over the object in your hands. Yes it’s true. Don’t let people tell you differently.

You have two main physical contacts to your environment during the swing … you have the feet in contact with the ground … and you have the hands in contact with the bat barrel. That’s it … just those two main contacts. You need to learn to make the best use of those two contacts … because it’s all you’ve got ….. and IMO, ignoring one of those contacts, the hands, is not a great solution for someone suffering with a ‘bat drag’ issue … … … and IMO it is why those that ignore the hands, or don’t know how to use the hands, so often struggle to solve ‘bat drag’ issues.

Have you ever heard the phrase … the “secret is in the dirt”? It has to do with the importance of the contact between the “feet” and the “ground”.

When it comes to “bat drag” … the “secret is in the hands”.

The secret has to do with the importance of the contact between the “hands” and the “bat”.

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
For us who are visual learners :). Edit: Thought it may be good to address again now that the kids are able to take some game swings.

- Bat Drag vs Bat Lag

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck