Hitting the Outside Pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Out of curiosity, I scoured the Internet looking for real-time (real at-bats) overhead video of hitters hitting the outside pitch. There aren't that many out there that I could find easily. I found the famous Pete Rose rotational swing clip, and then I found one of Alex Rodriguez.

Here's my question/observation: We're taught as hitters to hit the outside pitch deeper in the zone (see the included graphic below). We're taught to set the ball up on a tee and, consequently, hit a live pitch after it passes the front of the plate. I don't see any hitters hitting a ball that deep in my searches. Can somebody provide clips of hitters (male or female) hitting a ball that deep in the zone? I'm wondering if this is the best way to teach hitting the outside pitch. Thanks!

Tee Position for Inside, Middle, and Outside Pitches.jpg

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Posey_laf_combo.gif

in..................mid.......................out

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Posey_laf_combo.gif

in..................mid.......................out

RHC,
You, my friend . . . are the best. Those are great shots to see how hitters attack the different pitch locations.

To you, does it look like Posey hits the outside pitch after it passes the plate, or does it look like he hits it before it passes the plate. No doubt he hits it deeper than the inside and middle pitches (that's clear from these photos), but does he hit it after it passes the front of the plate? Again, I'm wondering if I need to adjust tee placement to make it authentic to hitting a real pitch.

Mike

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
RHC,
You, my friend . . . are the best. Those are great shots to see how hitters attack the different pitch locations.

To you, does it look like Posey hits the outside pitch after it passes the plate, or does it look like he hits it before it passes the plate. No doubt he hits it deeper than the inside and middle pitches (that's clear from these photos), but does he hit it after it passes the front of the plate? Again, I'm wondering if I need to adjust tee placement to make it authentic to hitting a real pitch.

Mike

Basic guideline I use is this; Inside pitch in front of front foot. Middle pitch between the front foot and front knee. Outside pitch around the front hip.

But when I train I move the tee a couple inches deeper then the guideline.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Posey_side4.gif

just a set up reference ^

just a guess, but from where he is set up and the angle of his bat, I think the ball is over the top of the back half of the plate.

Which would be about his front hip

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
For the most part, hitters hit out in front. I find it to be funny so many people on here tell posters move the tee back so much.

Jan 25, 2011
Posey_side4.gif

just a set up reference ^

just a guess, but from where he is set up and the angle of his bat, I think the ball is over the back of the plate.
yes but he still makes contact with the ball in front or even with his stride leg. It is not about where it crosses the plate but where it is on is body. In the video it is in front of his stride leg.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
yes but he still makes contact with the ball in front or even with his stride leg. It is not about where it crosses the plate but where it is on is body. In the video it is in front of his stride leg.

I was just using this vid as a point of reference to where he typically stands. I do believe in the outside pitch over head vid that the ball is back at his hip.

His bat is pointed at the first base dugout at contact, so I would guess it is pretty deep.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC