Hitting the inside pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Our new 14u A ball team did very well in our neck of the woods, but went to Roseville and saw the best of Northern and some Central CA teams. We are first year and all young 2002s, so need some schooling. We hit pretty well but this was an eye opener for many of the girls, and particularly getting busted on the hands pretty regularly. We have only a couple girls at the moment who can really capitalize on inside pitches.

What are some drills, or advice for hitters, to get them to be able to better approach inside pitches?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Set up a tee in a location that simulates an inside pitch and have them work on trying to hit the ball solidly. You'll find that they need to hit the ball further out in front of them to get the sweet spot of the bat on the ball. The deeper the ball gets the harder it is to hit an inside pitch.

Another cue I've found helpful is telling them to "speed up" to the inside pitch. If they see it's coming inside they need to move quickly. While you generally want max speeds regardless of pitching location, speeding up to inside pitches seems to work as a cue.

It's really a way of thinking. Many who have trouble like to wait too long to get going and can't catch up to the inside pitch. They have to learn where they need to be to hit it well. They can also back off the plate some to turn an inside pitch into more of a middle pitch, especially if the pitcher isn't throwing much outside. If she's using both sides of the plate it gets tougher.

For girls who are having trouble getting to the inside pitch I will tell them to look for/plan for an inside pitch, then adjust to the outside pitch.

One other thing I've seen good hitters do is sometimes they will let their front side open up more on an inside pitch. Just have to make sure they're not opening the front side on the outside pitches too or you'll have a new set of issues to resolve.

Aug 8, 2013
Ken hit the nail on the head in his post. I do not subscribe to the step to third idea. Swing mechanics should be the same regardless of pitch location. Point of contact is the only difference. As Ken said for them to expect the inside pitch and slow the load if it doesn't come. More in front of the plate for inside pitch and deeper on the plate for an outside pitch.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I like what Ken said.
something I have done with varied results is teach them how to hit a pitch that will hit them if they don't. i'll pitch TCB balls at them and have them get used to pulling them foul, then i gradually work out over the plate. then mix locations.

Mar 31, 2016
i would think a step to third would open u up .. May not be a actual step AT Third but generally speaking.. I try teach my DD to step to hit to just seems to give her the best power and can go any direction she wants..

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
The pitch, as far as understanding the speed and location is important to being successful hitting the outside pitch, but I see a lot of kids out of sequence in their swing. They use turning of the shoulders and pushing of the hands to generate the start of their swing. So, even if they are good at recognizing the pitch location, they are out of position to do anything with power or consistency about it. Great stuff Ken

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
we worked hard on inside pitches with tees, then front toss. then played in agame that had girls throwing some smoke, mid and high 50's, fast for us, 14u LL. we play alot of ASA, where the speed is.

What happens is, the girls get "frozen" on the inside pitch, we struck out looking over and over on the inside heat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles