Hitting Mechanics - What do we need to improve her swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Since it is not the technical forum and Eric is doing a fine job. The one thing I would suggest is bringing the bat up above her shoulder to the neck slot instead of below the shoulder. Her speed....just looks like she isn't swinging as hard as she can. Speed up the pitch and see what happens.

Neck slot ala Caitlyn Benji.
CaitlinBenji2005UCLA_SView.gif

I really like this and actually have a few of my players swinging this way. Others will have their hands slightly closer to the shoulder and a little higher.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I really like this and actually have a few of my players swinging this way. Others will have their hands slightly closer to the shoulder and a little higher.

Nothing wrong there. Have them put a little emphasis on early bat speed and see how it goes.

As I mentioned before, look at the blur of the bat behind her head. Early bat speed starts the blur at 12-o'clock(ish). Pushing the knob forward starts the blur at 9-o'clock. Focus on 12-6 bat speed.

Last edited:

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Do you see the bat rotating in a clockwise direction? This is the barrel being turned.

He is not "turning the barrel". Physics makes it look like he is when he initiates his swing "throwing the barrel" forward through the ball.

His hands are in front of his body when the barrel is finally parallel to the ground. He doesn't "turn the barrel" counter clock wise with his hands.

I have seen young players that try to make that happen artificially and they have the longest, slowest swings. Video can fool the untrained eye to think something is happening when it's not. This is one example of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Jim,

Given I'm new to this "turn the barrel" stuff, at least with regards to swing initiation, what are your thoughts on it generally?

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Jim,

Given I'm new to this "turn the barrel" stuff, at least with regards to swing initiation, what are your thoughts on it generally?

These are my thoughts.

The entire back arm/elbow/top hand should go through a throwing like motion from start to finish. During the load phase into the separation phase, the back arm/elbow should rise (opening up the armpit) into a strong launch/throwing position. Then when the swing is initiated, the back arm/elbow/top hand begins the process of throwing the barrel. The elbow should come back down and slot as the swing path begins.

It is very similar to a third baseman throwing a ball to second base after fielding a ground ball.

There is NO effort on the hitter's part to force the barrel into a counter clockwise motion. To do so will create far too much lift and unneeded length in the swing.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
These are my thoughts.

The entire back arm/elbow/top hand should go through a throwing like motion from start to finish. During the load phase into the separation phase, the back arm/elbow should rise (opening up the armpit) into a strong launch/throwing position. Then when the swing is initiated, the back arm/elbow/top hand begins the process of throwing the barrel. The elbow should come back down and slot as the swing path begins.

It is very similar to a third baseman throwing a ball to second base after fielding a ground ball.

There is NO effort on the hitter's part to force the barrel into a counter clockwise motion. To do so will create far too much lift and unneeded length in the swing.

I'm with your description here, but got a little hung up on "unneeded length in the swing. I've always liked stressing "long through," which I see as having the length of the bat path on pitch patch longer. Why? Pitchers are throwing all kinds of speed variations. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your "unneeded length."

Further, you said, "Then when the swing is initiated, the back arm/elbow/top hand begins the process of throwing the barrel." Pull with the front hand, swing with the back??? At least that's how someone put it to me.

Last edited:

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
I'm with your description here, but got a little hung up on "unneeded length in the swing. I've always liked stressing "long through," which I see as having the length of the bat path on pitch patch longer. Why? Pitchers are throwing all kinds of speed variations. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your "unneeded length."

Further, you said, "Then when the swing is initiated, the back arm/elbow/top hand begins the process of throwing the barrel." Pull with the front hand, swing with the back??? At least that's how someone put it to me.

The unneeded length is at the first fire of swing initiation. Many players get too big too soon with their path due to many different issues (one being emphasis on "turning the barrel"). I agree that there is a portion of the swing that should be as long as possible (through the hitting zone).

As far as pulling with the bottom hand... I wouldn't stress this with the players. It does happen of course, but the top hand should be stressed more than the bottom hand. Too much pull with the bottom hand will cause many issues that are not going to be good.

The hands should work together, but I would put more emphasis on throwing the barrel, with as much force and bat-speed as possible, with the top hand.

The back side of the body should be connected and should be the driving force behind the swing. You shouldn't force too much pull or open movements with the front side (bottom hand, front shoulder, front hip, etc.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors