Hitting help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 8, 2013
She looks pretty balanced in the last video. One thing I would definitely work on (that has nothing to do with your original problem) is she is not getting her back hip completely through. That is a significant source of power loss.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_obb4zyvFKh1usf292o1_400.gif

You better work on barrel path.....
tumblr_obazuuviHh1usf292o1_250.gif

You better work on barrel path.....and sequence....if you want further help you should post this on the tech or practical hitting threads.
We have fixed the long stride and the bent front knee in this video.
Who is this 'we'. Your DD needs informed help if you want her to have continued success. Sorry to be blunt.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2016
Lead elbow should go level/up. Practice left one hand drills.
Release backside. Use the hopping drill

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina

There are some more advanced observers here, and perhaps they can critique my critique ...

I don't see where the stride length was an issue. As far as the bent front knee, what is important IMO is not the knee angle but having front-side resistance. To get that, you have to have some energy moving forward that is resisted by the front side. Those who execute that generally have very little bend (if any) in the front knee at contact. But it sounds like your hitter is merely accomplishing a position at point in time (very little if no bend in the knee at contact) without doing the right movements and patterns that make the front leg position relevant. Instead, it looks like she is bringing up the front leg up, then bringing it down and spinning. It's not much different than squishing the bug.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_obb4zyvFKh1usf292o1_400.gif

The bending of the front knee is still there. Probably because this hitter has a hands 'level' to the ball barrel path. The bending of the front knee is getting the hands down level to the ball.
it looks like she is bringing up the front leg up, then bringing it down and spinning.

Yes, whole rear side 'spinning' as one unit. From the top of the barrel down to her rear foot toes.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

This...

...is not "fixed". Landing the stride with a stiff front leg is just as much an issue - maybe more - than the knee never getting extended.

Look at video of the best hitters in baseball and softball and pay attention to the timing of when the stride foot lands and when the front knee is fully extended. Here's one example...
Miggy_060315.gif

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

Two things...

1) Draw a line from the young hitter's rear hip through the young hitter's front hip (while her front leg is in the air). What direction is the line pointing? Now do the same thing with Miggy. See a difference? The young hitter's sequence is controlled by her front leg which is a key point to fix, IMO.

2) To Eric's point, watch the timing of the front leg. The resistance/extension is part of the timing mechanism. Watch when Miggy's front leg straightens and compare that to the young hitter. Fix the first thing I have listed above and I would be willing to bet that this will also improve.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Two things...

1) Draw a line from the young hitter's rear hip through the young hitter's front hip (while her front leg is in the air). What direction is the line pointing? Now do the same thing with Miggy. See a difference? The young hitter's sequence is controlled by her front leg which is a key point to fix, IMO.

2) To Eric's point, watch the timing of the front leg. The resistance/extension is part of the timing mechanism. Watch when Miggy's front leg straightens and compare that to the young hitter. Fix the first thing I have listed above and I would be willing to bet that this will also improve.

Dixon wrote that the hips travel "forward ahead of the shoulders in a line to the right of the target because they are cocked. Hip travel does not begin straight ahead." That is, with regard to hip direction, Dixon viewed the forward movement of the hips as having a coiling like action.

In a sense, the hips get in the way to get out of the way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles