Hitters thumb?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2013
About three weeks ago my 12u DD hit a ball in a game and got a sharp pain in her right hand thumb, she is a right handed batter. It appears to be centered around the joint. since then every time she makes contact she gets this pain in her thumb. She can still pitch and throws overhand pain free, but knowing this pain is coming on contact has affected her aggressiveness at bat(rightfully so) so my question to the DFP Hitting gurus is, could this be caused by some sort of mechanical flaw in how she holds the bat and is there some sort of aid that can be purchased to lock that thumb so as to not keep reinjuring it? Is this a common injury? anybody out there have any experience with this. Should I get it X-Rayed. Thanks in advance.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
whats-up-with-the-direct-protect-thumb-guard-21581313.jpg

Jul 2, 2013
My DD had the same injury. Not uncommon to power hitters.

In my opinion, there probably is nothing wrong with her grip. Mostly she has powerful wrists, and a strong grip. Can be a complement to get this injury, for the weaker hitters do not get it.

Some common issues. Can happen when a player uses a long bat, with a big drop. These type bats usually have a smaller sweet spot overall, and when hit of the end can really sting (bruised thumb). She injured it with a 33" drop 10. Immediately bought a 33" drop 9. Allows the bat to do more of the work.

The flex of the bat handle is another issue. Since my DD started with playing baseball, she always liked a stiff bat. Her old Easton Synergy fit the bill, is kind of stiff. The bat we bought right after the injury was a Xeno, which is built with more flex in the handle.

ALWAYS wear a batting glove on the right hand, for right handed hitters.

Difficult injury to recover from right away. My DD took 3 full weeks to recover. In her case she was battling for a DH spot in HS as a frosh. Knocked her out of the running, just as she was starting to make a run. Got a few at bats 3 weeks later, but never regained her true hitting form until travel started.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2013
DFP comes thru again, thank you for the great Ideas. think Ive got a plan of action and the stiffer bat is something I will really be looking into.

Mar 28, 2013
OK at the risk of exposing my ignorance on hitting wouldn't the right hand be the bottom hand on a right handed batter at impact.? Just as the fog clears it rolls right back in.LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877