Hitter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Its annoying when they do that, but I've noticed it doesnt seem to have correlation with how they hit. I'd like to get a video of a good hitter slapping her back in the hitters circle and compare it to her making a good hit just to see what changes.

Carl

Carl I know enough people on this form who may say the back slapper/ shoulder mashers are not usually the prolific power hitter on their team. However they may be the contact hitter! We see them struggle at the plate on outside pitches and usually the parents call them foul ball home run hitters.

That is just my opinion....Thanks Howard

Sep 10, 2009
Carl I know enough people on this form who may say the back slapper/ shoulder mashers are not usually the prolific power hitter on their team. However they may be the contact hitter! We see them struggle at the plate on outside pitches and usually the parents call them foul ball home run hitters.

That is just my opinion....Thanks Howard

No doubt you've seen a lot more hitters than i have, just throwing out what i've observed. Any theory why they would struggle more with the outside pitch?

"foul ball home run hitters" because they keep that front elbow up when they pull an inside pitch?

Carl

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
No doubt you've seen a lot more hitters than i have, just throwing out what i've observed. Any theory why they would struggle more with the outside pitch?

"foul ball home run hitters" because they keep that front elbow up when they pull an inside pitch?

Carl

They normally are casting their hands over the plate and roll their wrist then pulling off the ball.Even if the managed to keep their hands inside the path of the ball at contact they will give up and pull off the ball. However inside pitches their bat stays in the zone a little longer however they never get extended and pull the ball and the parents get all excited....foul ball and a long strike!

Thanks Howard

Sep 10, 2009
They normally are casting their hands over the plate and roll their wrist then pulling off the ball.Even if the managed to keep their hands inside the path of the ball at contact they will give up and pull off the ball. However inside pitches their bat stays in the zone a little longer however they never get extended and pull the ball and the parents get all excited....foul ball and a long strike!

Thanks Howard

So if they roll the wrist the swing will finish low and hit the back. makes sense. I see it mostly in the on deck circle when they are warming up a lot of hitters seem to like to get the power V straight out towards the plate. I assumed they did it just to stretch or something, I'm starting to wonder how many of them think they swing like that even if they dont.

Carl

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
So if they roll the wrist the swing will finish low and hit the back. makes sense. I see it mostly in the on deck circle when they are warming up a lot of hitters seem to like to get the power V straight out towards the plate. I assumed they did it just to stretch or something, I'm starting to wonder how many of them think they swing like that even if they dont.

Carl

Carl the wrist rolling is usually in the grip by the bat being back in the top hand too far back where the webbing of the thumb and index finger meet and the centripetal force not being able to be controlled because you can not hold the bat with the ring and social finger. These are the strongest two fingers on the hand and share a common tendon and we term them as grippers. We want to be able to direct the knob of the bat inside the path of the ball and rotate our hips as needed and release or unhinge our wrist at the appropriate time. The stronger male players can overcome this to some extent however my girls have found more success using the g rip we described in a previous thread.

Combine this with the girls never actually achieving extension and presto they either hit themselves or finish low over the shoulder or at a sharp angle o between the shoulder and neck.

I will test the water when calling pitches and throw two pitches in on the hands and then one high and away or low and away to sse what happens. I also look for pitches that hook foul as a right handed hitter to confirm pulling off the ball.

Thanks Howard

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877