Hit this Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 14, 2010
4for4,

I don't pretend to know what TM is demonstrating there or why? Obviously it looks like he's dumping the barrel, is he doing the drill to create a feel? I've never seen that video/gif. The Pujols clips areat visuals for getting the hands flat by turning the triangle IMO. The only thing I will say is that you have to use the hands to throw the barrel, the pressure one feels with the hands torquing the handle is the proof.

Can we see some video of your DD/students? SL,Mann,myself and many others have been forthcoming with our proof how bout you.

R

RayR

The top hand pulling back is part of the swivel - how else can you get the barrel from a vertical position to on plane?

I think you partly answered your own question about the barrel. His elbow drops.
And i said his wrist is pulled back, loaded.
thats not swivel.

i should not say locked, i should say that the shoulders are more of a platform for the arms and hands. Because the swing is so dynamic, and locked would take away the dynamic proccessessssss.

My point, deep swivel, is not absolute, and does not stand up to elite level swings.
I think you can see where the hands are, and where the swing is occuring, its not behind him,

So yesterday, the point was made, swivel, is at the shoulder, now you say just pull back, not swivel?

Feb 7, 2013
If you are going to swing using only a HPP then yes you will dump the barrel....

Attacking the ball from above is a great swing thought....what other pivot point would turn a barrel dump into a swing that attacks from the top?

I think this is a nice thought swing thought:

While the hands are turning,,,,
The lower body is well, well, well, underway, back knee driving, then the hip snagging the hands.

R

RayR

And what would get the lower body well underway? I know you know my answer to this, Tim.

Feb 7, 2013
4for4,

I don't pretend to know what TM is demonstrating there or why? Obviously it looks like he's dumping the barrel, is he doing the drill to create a feel? I've never seen that video/gif. The Pujols clips areat visuals for getting the hands flat by turning the triangle IMO. The only thing I will say is that you have to use the hands to throw the barrel, the pressure one feels with the hands torquing the handle is the proof.

Can we see some video of your DD/students? SL,Mann,myself and many others have been forthcoming with our proof how bout you.

C,

You have gotten value out of the path you have taken and I get that. You are making a defense of TM, and I get that too. Your DD, from what I've seen, looks to be on her way. I get it.

My DD's swing is what it is and I'm responsible for it...the information that I have provided is what it is and you can either ask for clips or assess the information and act on it as needed. Clips of my DD won't change what the clips of TM show him teaching.

I have shown my DD to others, including some on this board...that I trust very much and respect their opinions very much. I have chosen to do it in a different way.

Feb 14, 2010
I'm not defending TM at all. I've never been a member on his site but he has giving me some great advice like many others. I would love to see a video of your DD. I've posted my DDs video on here from the very beginning and have adjusted our journey as needed.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I'll defend him, say out of ignorance if you like, but this is a whole thread that basically sums up that a drill teacherman is doing, on a gif, that we can't hear what he is saying, doesn't match pattern....is that the best thoughts you have?! It would be like me starting a thread with SL's daughter doing the "matrix" and saying "this will never catch up to fast pitchers."

I don't defend TM...I don't need to....if you have any substance, like live swing vs live swing, then great, post it...but this thread is just stupid! Maybe stop obsessing about what other hitting instructors are doing, and start instructing yourself!

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2010
Iclifton, and others agree, that swivel happens at the shoulder. That was said yesterday.

In this clip of Manny, i see No swivel, until well out front, where he releases his wrist, from lag to contact.

His wrists stay loaded till the release.

Or in other words, he pulls that top hand back, and it Stays in that position, locked with his turn, till release.
OUT FRONT, with THIS PITCH LOCATION.

mann's Photos : Photo Keywords : mannywrist*

I must open a photo bucket site. This place will not except smugmug loading.

View attachment 3271

there is no wrist release, or swivel, till this point. Where are his hands?

MannySwivel-0.00.00.90-M.jpg

Mann, what can I say, you asked me to look at a specific clip. Then you take that and apply it to a clip that "looks" different, to you. Pujols has a distinct flattening that is shared by a lot of ML hitters. Manny has one that looks different, I will grant you that, for sure. But why would you ask me to look at a specific clip, then bring my words here and apply it to a different clip. The problem is, you are still incorrect sir. Sorry, but the angle in his wrist actually becomes more acute. It is is lock-step with his turn til release? We are looking at the Manny clip now, correct?

Straightleg, luv ya man!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45