Hit this Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I agree that this clip shows too much barrel dump. Obviously, he's working with a student to develop a feel for something. Not knowing what the specific issue is or what the exact feel he's trying to teach, no one can say that clip implies "This is the barrel path elite hitters use." Obviously, it can't be. I don't think the instructor would say that, either.

At face value, I personally would be cautious of letting the student on the left drop the barrel that far, but I don't know that kid and I don't know what the HC is trying to communicate to his hitter.

The ultimate goal is to get the hitter on plane with the pitch in the most explosive/efficient way possible. Getting on plane is not exclusive of using the early rearward barrel turn and turning the triangle mechanics that have been discussed on here for the past few weeks. I haven't seen this as an "either/or". For me, there has been value in creating whip by stretching and firing the front-side obliques to initiate the turning of the triangle. It feels and sounds explosive. It has been helpful to my hitters.

Oct 25, 2009
Thx for the links sbp. Couple questions,

Does it work?

Do you have one?

Do u still use it?

Actually any members have any experience with this training aid?

Not being a smart a$$, just want some info

It was real popular about 10 years ago I believe. It was used to teach a downward swing back in the day. It didn't have the attachment that lets you adjust for an upward swing.

I never liked it.

Dec 29, 2010
Thx sbp, so sl use it only for the high drill? $199.99 high tee? Was this a must have 10 years ago?

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Mann, what can I say, you asked me to look at a specific clip. Then you take that and apply it to a clip that "looks" different, to you. Pujols has a distinct flattening that is shared by a lot of ML hitters. Manny has one that looks different, I will grant you that, for sure. But why would you ask me to look at a specific clip, then bring my words here and apply it to a different clip. The problem is, you are still incorrect sir. Sorry, but the angle in his wrist actually becomes more acute. It is is lock-step with his turn til release? We are looking at the Manny clip now, correct?

Straightleg, luv ya man!

What does the wrist angle becoming more acute have to do with deep swivel?

what does swivel mean to you?

[video]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/rndhad//th_Bonds_tophand4.gif[/video]

Like i said earlier, no its not locked, its loaded, and then released, hopefully at contact.

the HI demo, is just one swivel. I see the mlb swing as being not one single movement.

mann's Photos : Photo Keywords : hamilton 

It can happen way out front. It can happen deeper, on outside pitches.

What am i incorrect about exactly?

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
What does the wrist angle becoming more acute have to do with deep swivel?

what does swivel mean to you?

[video]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/rndhad//th_Bonds_tophand4.gif[/video]

Like i said earlier, no its not locked, its loaded, and then released, hopefully at contact.

the HI demo, is just one swivel. I see the mlb swing as being not one single movement.

mann's Photos : Photo Keywords : hamilton*

It can happen way out front. It can happen deeper, on outside pitches.

What am i incorrect about exactly?

Mann
What you see is what i see. MLB players holding on to the wrist angle around the corner(rotation) then releasing the energy to impact
It releases at different times according to where the pitch is

High inside pitch. you do what is in the demo and no way you hit balls up in the zone
JMO too much bat angle, wrists have released early

SL

Last edited:
R

RayR

SL - you mean like this ball down in the zone?

RB2-24-13-1-G_zpsd6121234.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie