Hit by line drive yesterday.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
She is going to be alright, 13 stitches. She messaged another girl on our team sending a picture with the caption, "this is what happens when you don't wear a mask". I know I'll see her sometime over the next few weeks. I'll ask her to describe what happened and how she remembers it.

For my DD, I have told her she must wear a mask when playing the infield. She does not have to wear it in the outfield. On DDs high school team, there are only two that wear the mask, both pitchers, my DD being one. Our third baseman on our TB team who also plays with DD on her HS team wears a mask in TB but not in HS due to peer pressure.

For some reason, as the girls get older, they feel as if they don't need the mask for protection, but what I remind my DD is that the older the girls get the harder they are able to hit the ball too. When my DD saw the picture, it did not make her scared to pitch, but it did solidify her mask is another piece of protective equipment that is just standard gear for her.

Last year DD started using a evoshield elbow guard when she is at the plate. I don't see any stigma attached to using that protective equipment, nor the face guard on the batting helmet. I wished there wasn't judgement passed on those that wear fielder's masks.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2009
My DD doesn't wear a mask. But I do think some kids need one but won't wear one because of a stigma. It would do a lot to remove the perceived negative stigma if they made it a game rule by ASA/PGF or other sanctioning body. Just like helmets and facemasks on helmets. Someone had to start the rule somewhere.

Yes. We can parent our own kid... but if there was a game rule in place that would protect the players from getting hurt that didn't affect the game negatively why wouldn't people support it? Why do batters have to wear batting helmets? Why do leagues have rules for cups for boys? Some states don't even allow metal cleats in HS. The majority of players will not play in college or at a high level. The majority also don't have cat like reflexes many of the DD's of those who are opposed to any face mask rules.

Sure its not easy to implement. It doesn't have to be everyone. It could start at 12U or 14U and below. It could start with the pitcher. Maybe move to corner or other infield positions. I don't know. With how hot some of these bats are I just don't want to see a kid get hit by a line drive in the face and possibly seriously injured playing a game because they didn't want to be looked upon as weak or being babied. It is just a game after all.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
I was there and saw everything! It was my coaches that were the medics that treated her.

She was so lucky it was just above her eyebrow. ANYWHERE else could have been life altering.

Jun 7, 2011
Central Iowa
I am a believer in pitchers and corner infielders wearing masks because it will protect them from broken bones and serious facial trauma. However, a mask does not prevent a concussion. A concussion occurs because the force of an impact on the head causes the brain to shift within the skull. No matter how well padded, a face mask will not prevent that sort of injury, just as the most advanced football helmets available do not prevent concussions. Please do not spread the false notion that face masks can do things that they are not designed to do.

I believe SandyM was pretty accurate when she stated a mask "could possibly" prevent a concussion. Depending on its design, a mask could be constructed to dissipate the force of a direct impact. I agree that most of todays designs probably wouldn't do that. I suppose in very rare events, wearing a mask might even increase a person's risk. Let's use an example of a line-shot back up the middle, which may have previously missed a pitcher by fractions, now creates contact because of the larger surface area of the mask. Forces are created by the contact that previously wouldn't have existed. While this is a very extreme, unlikely example, its exactly the kind of risk/reward scenarios an in-depth study would look at. Like Riseball stated, once you mandate it, you own it.

I do believe that both anecdotal evidence and common sense would lead us to the conclusion that a player wearing a mask is much less likely to experience a serious head injury. As long as she's a minor, mine will continue to wear one.

Jun 7, 2013
My youngest DD was hit by a hard line drive while in the circle without a mask. It was quite a traumatic
event for her. It's been almost two years and she is most of the way back--not quite all. My daughters
always wear their Schutte mask while pitching or playing the infield. It's a good idea.

Another thing, I would certainly support making the bats and balls less "hot". I don't think that the extra
homeruns are worth the extra injuries.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I don't think anyone was talking about a law. Just a game rule. I am pretty sure I can legally pitch BP to my daughter without her helmet on.

Fastpitch was pretty clear in suggesting a law that was akin to the bicycle/motorcycle helmet laws. As to being legally permitted to pitch BP to your daughter sans helmet that is perfectly legal. For now.

Oct 18, 2009
Fastpitch was pretty clear in suggesting a law that was akin to the bicycle/motorcycle helmet laws. As to being legally permitted to pitch BP to your daughter sans helmet that is perfectly legal. For now.

Yes. Obviously I meant a law not a game rule. I want police showing up at games to arrest these delinquents.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog