Hip pain

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 2, 2012
Dd said she dove after a ball in hs practice and landed a little hard on her hip. Said it did not hurt. She pitched next night and after game said it really hurt. She went to her doctor and she thought she dislocated it. On to X-ray and then orthopedic doctor. He said she has good looking hip sockets and said she had bursitis. Said rest come back in two weeks. 5 days went by and said it felt good so we go to batting lesson. All good till ride home then pain started. Going to a different doc tomorrow. Just wondering if pitching could cause bursitis it's on her push leg.

Feb 19, 2009
Dd said she dove after a ball in hs practice and landed a little hard on her hip. Said it did not hurt. She pitched next night and after game said it really hurt. She went to her doctor and she thought she dislocated it. On to X-ray and then orthopedic doctor. He said she has good looking hip sockets and said she had bursitis. Said rest come back in two weeks. 5 days went by and said it felt good so we go to batting lesson. All good till ride home then pain started. Going to a different doc tomorrow. Just wondering if pitching could cause bursitis it's on her push leg.

Since it's on her push leg it would mean it's also on the same side as her pitching arm. Is it possible she's slamming her elbow into her hip socket when she pitches which may be causing the pain? My dd used to get sore there sometimes and her pitching coach said it's very common and gave her a small cut out piece of a mouse pad to tuck in her belt under her jersey.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Inflammation of the bursa? I would be more inclined to think something else.

You have a nerve junction box, of sorts, on the sides of both hips. If you get hit there, fall on the side of your hip, or whatever, the larger nerves branch off to smaller nerves and those branch off to even smaller nerves further down the line.

I hard enough slam on that hip juncvtion box can make the hip swell aloit AND cause discoloration further down the leg where no trauma was experienced.

Example; I was in a multiple roll over on the freeway in a large truck, no seatbelt. Slammed around like a pinball. Was slammed down onto right hip, 357 strapped to that hip. Smashed that nerve junction box, hip swelled a great deal. Turned black.

No impact to my right foot but the smal;ler nerve junction box on the side of the foot turned black also. The damage to the hip nerves caused the ankle to discolor.

It also caused damage to my lumbar spine, L1, 2 and 3.

If she is experiencing any pain just above the kneecap, or on the side of the foot, she might have smacked that nerve box in the hip harder thasn she thinks, or wants you to think.

Just because a bruise or pain is in an area that was not traumatized, that doesnt mean it isnt a symptom of an injury a little fsarther up thenervous system.

Did she experience any swelling or discoloration on the side of her hip?

Run that by a good physical therapist. The PT can run her through a few exercises and stretchs that can confirm or rule out temporary nerve pinches, per say.
The pt should also be abl;e to tell you if there is a misalignment of the hips / vertebrae in the lumbar region.

My injuries were severe and extreme but I fully recovered from thoe nerve damage experienced. Th three scrunched discs I still have to deal with every day.
Good luck.

Jan 2, 2012
Seen new doc today and he said she has snapping hip. It's a tendon that runs from hip to the knee that's snapping when she moves just right. Got some med to take and rest till it does not hurt. Said she can play it will just prolong the healing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom