High School experts!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2013
A High School is a direct reflection of the members of its community.

I move to my community for a reason. It was not to publically, and privately lamblast them. It was to join them, embrace our softball team, and be a valuable member of my extended family.

Maybe you should have researched your community before moving there, and becoming one of them.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Learn to give. Learn to appreciate the many, many other folks who give to you.

Or not, and post negative things about how inept, and awful the world is.

SC you have to understand that many on here are not as blessed as you when it comes to their HS softball programs and coaches. I know many HS coaches that are very knowledgeable, very good with mechanics (fielding, pitching and hitting) and I also know many around here that don't know the game is played with a 12" ball at that level.

Many of us have spent not only serious money on catching, hitting, pitching lessons and all types of top notch clinics from some of the best instructors we could find, but spend numerous hours on here and other forums of this type educating ourselves. We also spend countless days/weekends/entire weeks in the TB world. So after all of that expenditure in both money and time getting our daughters some of the best coaching available in the area, we have a tendency to get more than a little irate when a HS coach like the latter example above tries to change mechanics on our DD's.

Edit to Add: Also, many of us do not have a choice in which community we live in. It may be a very small community with only one school system and the coaching stinks. The next community may be a 2 hour commute to work away. Or we may have to stay where we are at to help take care of an ailing family member. Or maybe we are a lower middle class two income family who spends every extra nickel and dime trying to develop our DD's God given ability and potential to it's fullest since she would like to play college ball. Not get an athletic scholarship per se but at least walk on and maybe play, because she loves the sport that much and can't afford to move. There could be any number of reasons as to why we have to live where we do. So before you keep throwing out inane platitudes and advice, maybe you ought to think before you post.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Here we are again at the beginning of a new HS season. DD is pitching and hitting her spots amazingly well today (no batters, just a catcher and a "pitching coach" calling spin and location) he yells " FASTBALL, HIGH AND IN" and boom, dd smacks the mitt right on target! Again and again and again. "CHANGE UP, HIGH AND OUT" he yells... DD is confused??? She asks if he meant low and out? (She's been taught since she was 11 to keep change ups low) He tells her to not think and just throw! This badgering goes on for about 30min. He is now explaining how important it is for her to have the ball hand at 9:00 at toe touch (not 12:00) And then here it comes... he turns to her and says "have you ever heard of internal rotation?" She is surprised to hear this and says yes! He then proceeds to correct her understanding of it by demonstrating HE with an over aggressive high elbow finish! And will not leave her alone until she stops pulling the ball downward and starts pushing it forward. At this point I'm furious. So I calmly address him as he's between kids and start to ask nicely if he would please leave her mechanics alone because we are working with a pro coach (Hillhouse) he then says "Bill who???" And BTW.... "practices are closed to parents" and then asks me to leave. This is the same guy I assisted two seasons ago, and now for some reason, I have become a know nothing moron and any advise received from me is nonsense. I'm paraphrasing of course, but this is gonna be a long three months!

You had him at "Bill who?"

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
YOCOACH,
Pretty spot on analogy. Your right in saying the part about countless hours of study and coaching. We've been to numerous camps, clinics, coaches, seminars, and upper level games. One, because she loves it and two, because she's not a naturally gifted athlete. She has to work a little harder than most of her teammates to be able to perform at the same level or higher than them. So, after all the hours training literally on average of 4-5 hours a week all fall and winter, doing Hillhouse's drills, and hitting 300+ balls every other day, as well as DVD work outs like p90x and insanity. So, she's already proven within the first few practices that she's got #4 batter power and is a vacuum at the corners, and is a pretty good pitcher. This knuckle head wants his ego massaged by "working with her" so that when she does succeed he can take her credit.... sorry for the rants, I'm just oversensitive when it comes to my kids.

Dec 7, 2011
A High School is a direct reflection of the members of its community.

I move to my community for a reason. It was not to publically, and privately lamblast them. It was to join them, embrace our softball team, and be a valuable member of my extended family.

Maybe you should have researched your community before moving there, and becoming one of them.

SCDad - you are an absolute trip! I can't tell yet if you are a plant here in DFP just to rile up folks or what...? Your depictions of reality are absolutely befuddling.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The day my DD's high school coach tries to change her pitching mechanics will be the last day of my DD's high school career.....

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
You had him at "Bill who?"

8d048d6d8a5c4a46572f346eb994ed72_zpsb4f640be.jpg
[/IMG]

Jan 22, 2010
Wow I feel for you and I especially feel for your DD! It's going to be a long season! I'd just tell her to smile and nod and keep doing it the right way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pfpsoftball1028