High School experts!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Here we are again at the beginning of a new HS season. DD is pitching and hitting her spots amazingly well today (no batters, just a catcher and a "pitching coach" calling spin and location) he yells " FASTBALL, HIGH AND IN" and boom, dd smacks the mitt right on target! Again and again and again. "CHANGE UP, HIGH AND OUT" he yells... DD is confused??? She asks if he meant low and out? (She's been taught since she was 11 to keep change ups low) He tells her to not think and just throw! This badgering goes on for about 30min. He is now explaining how important it is for her to have the ball hand at 9:00 at toe touch (not 12:00) And then here it comes... he turns to her and says "have you ever heard of internal rotation?" She is surprised to hear this and says yes! He then proceeds to correct her understanding of it by demonstrating HE with an over aggressive high elbow finish! And will not leave her alone until she stops pulling the ball downward and starts pushing it forward. At this point I'm furious. So I calmly address him as he's between kids and start to ask nicely if he would please leave her mechanics alone because we are working with a pro coach (Hillhouse) he then says "Bill who???" And BTW.... "practices are closed to parents" and then asks me to leave. This is the same guy I assisted two seasons ago, and now for some reason, I have become a know nothing moron and any advise received from me is nonsense. I'm paraphrasing of course, but this is gonna be a long three months!

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
rant on brother....looks like you got branded as the pain in the rear dad. No worries, it's just three months. Tell her to do her best to show that she is coachable without destroying what she already knows and just enjoy the games. There is nothing you can do, it isn't like TB where you can just hop to another team so no sense getting upset over it. She'll be fine.

Jan 25, 2011
Just tell her to stick to her guns and do it the right way. If he keeps pushing HE, tell her to hold the ball longer and pitch it right into the ceiling. Just maybe it will come back down and hit the moron HC right on top of his head.

Jul 2, 2013
Just so you know, High School softball is a NO PARENT zone. No practices, no contact with the coaches, no time with DD even when traveling to a tourney.

But please pay, and offer to contribute.

Once you get used to it, it is the best (if with a good program).

You sound like a travel dad who wants influence over his DD (like travel). Forget about it. Relax and enjoy.

It is how your DD learns to be an adult, and not under Mommy and Daddy's wing.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Turning your kid over to the state for education is bad enough. Turning her over to the state to "learn to be an adult", I think not. Thank god this nonsense is over in only 5 weeks.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
You may have been wrong for approaching him at practice, but his reply was very unprofessional. How bad do they need you DD?

Jul 2, 2013
Play for a top notch high school softball program, and your opinion is 100% opposite.

Maybe even give back to your community, instead of dreading your 5 weeks (here it is 3 months), and you will find life is much more enjoyable.

My community likes me because we give to our high school. Sure, it is small, but when everyone on the team has families which do the same, it becomes big.

Sigh.....

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The nonsense is over in 5 weeks. We have endured it since January 6th. Players and parents counting down the days. In a system where the delivery of education is suspect at best they really should not attempt other endeavors.

Jul 2, 2013
Learn to give. Learn to appreciate the many, many other folks who give to you.

Or not, and post negative things about how inept, and awful the world is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdowowihcw