High School experts!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
...Where does my DD fit into your scheme of thinking? She was a big dog D1 pitcher (not as good as Pauly or Osterman, but still pretty good). Her knowledge of pitching is better than 95% of the people who post on here. Her knowledge of softball is better than almost everyone who posts here. She also knows what she doesn't know, which puts her way ahead of most people. She is now a HC for a HS varsity team...

If your daughter was the norm and not the exception there would not be any threads like this. As you are well aware that is not the case. Why should people be expected to act like lemmings when faced with poor coaching?

May 29, 2013
Explain to your dd that this is one of many occasions in her life where she will have to choose. Either play for the coach or don't play for the coach. There is no more arguing,explaining,defending,or ignoring. "This is how i pitch, let me know if you want me to pitch for you".

Apr 25, 2010
I am so thankful for DD's HS coach. He is very old school. He teaches HE pitching, knob to the ball/barrel above hands hitting, point the glove/walk through the end of the throw. Since my DD showed up, he helped with a hitting clinic with Bouldersdad, asked DH to assist and teach the other freshman how DD hits, he does not say word one about how DD pitches(she goes to Hillhouse), and he flat out says things just aren't done the old way anymore. He is open to new ways of doing things, and it is a beautiful thing.

Jan 25, 2011
You guys want it both ways...basically, you want the HC to identify the greatness of your child, let your child play every inning of every game, but never correct their child since, obviously, their child child knows how to play better than the coach. (Are you guys that way with math teachers?)

Where does my DD fit into your scheme of thinking? She was a big dog D1 pitcher (not as good as Pauly or Osterman, but still pretty good). Her knowledge of pitching is better than 95% of the people who post on here. Her knowledge of softball is better than almost everyone who posts here. She also knows what she doesn't know, which puts her way ahead of most people. She is now a HC for a HS varsity team.

Should she just keep her mouth shut and when your kid doesn't perform sit her on the bench and not tell your DD why? Should she tell parents who are spending $$$ on terrible PCs that they are throwing their money away?

The way the game is structured allows parents to "blame" someone other than their DD for their DD's failures. Why did the pitcher walk batters? The umpire was squeezing the zone. Why did the batter strike out? The umpire's zone was too big. Why did the ball go through the legs of the SS? The pitcher let the batter hit the ball too hard. Why did the team lose? The coach didn't play my DD. It goes on and on.
I call BS on your post. If your big D1 expitcher was such a great coach, then she would of be a college coach already. Personaly, you slugger want it both ways, you want to prove everybody wrong and when someone questions you or you don't like what someone says, you will just delete their post. I sometimes think that you are the wrong choice for an admin. for this site. I want a HS coach not to see my dd's greatness or downfalls. I want these HC's to never stop learning about this game. As far as your HC knowing more then anybody that comes to this site, I really doubt it, because you sir have no idea what any of us really knows.

Jul 26, 2010
Getting straight A's in public school and doing well on public sports teams is like getting a medal for chewing your food without drooling. It's all about perspective.

-W

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
When my daughter graduated public HS in 2013 they made a huge deal out of the fact that over 50% of the class graduated with honors. Maybe it is time to raise the bar? But they seem to want to dumb it down until everyone is successful.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
When my daughter graduated public HS in 2013 they made a huge deal out of the fact that over 50% of the class graduated with honors. Maybe it is time to raise the bar? But they seem to want to dumb it down until everyone is successful.

Welcome to the new U.S. public education system. They aren't allowed to hold anyone back due to bad grades because not only might their self esteem be damaged, they would sue the school system for mental cruelty. So they'll continue to lower the standards until everyone can pass with minimal work at best all the while wringing thier hands with worry and complaining about the how we are consistently falling behind the rest of the world in our educational standings.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2010
I call BS on your post. If your big D1 expitcher was such a great coach, then she would of be a college coach already. Personaly, you slugger want it both ways, you want to prove everybody wrong and when someone questions you or you don't like what someone says, you will just delete their post. I sometimes think that you are the wrong choice for an admin. for this site. I want a HS coach not to see my dd's greatness or downfalls. I want these HC's to never stop learning about this game. As far as your HC knowing more then anybody that comes to this site, I really doubt it, because you sir have no idea what any of us really knows.

Bravo! :applause:

May 17, 2012
If your big D1 expitcher was such a great coach, then she would of be a college coach already.

You make a good point although I would argue that the higher up you go in coaching the less you are required to know about the fundamentals of the game. It's more about rules and recruiting, that is what you need to be successful at your job.

If you want to see who really knows how to coach, take all of the D1 coaches and give them a 10u travel team.

I want these HC's to never stop learning about this game.

This is the correct answer. This is all I would want from a coach.