High School Dead Periods

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Unfortunately it applies evenly to travel ball!!! Tired of the HS coach bashing!!! I have yet to see one in Wisconsin that fits what your describing!
I think you're correct that both have their bad apples. The problem is, at least where I'm from, most of the HS coaches are just teachers with little to no experience in coaching. They do it to make an extra $8-$10K for two months work.

That's not to say you don't see equally unqualified buffoons on the travel ball scene. Heck, I was one of them. The difference was I wasn't collecting a paycheck, and I knew when to walk away.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
I thought the word "team" was a group of individuals working towards a common goal. It would be better stated that a group of individuals working on personal goals come together on occasions to form a "team".

Jun 8, 2016
I thought the word "team" was a group of individuals working towards a common goal. It would be better stated that a group of individuals working on personal goals come together on occasions to form a "team".
Lol..The goal of a kid could be to get better individually to help out her team. You can be the world's best team at cutoffs and bunt coverage but if you cannot hit, field or pitch (skills which you primarily get better at on your own, outside of team time) you are not going to win many games...You seem bitter.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Lol..The goal of a kid could be to get better individually to help out her team. You can be the world's best team at cutoffs and bunt coverage but if you cannot hit, field or pitch (skills which you primarily get better at on your own, outside of team time) you are not going to win many games...You seem bitter.
Not bitter at all, maybe sad. Just pointing out that the word "team" in youth sports can mean something different than what I think it should. If your team only gets together for games and does not practice together then it sounds more like an All star event rather than a team.

May 27, 2022
One of the reasons I mention the issue is because in states that don't have these 'dead periods' (or carve out exceptions) the high school coach and Summer coach are often the same person. There's no logical argument to not allow players and coaches to play there sport in season... which for baseball and softball is the Summer.

It's the equivalent of high school athletic associations telling their high school coaches they have a non-compete agreement.

In my state, HS coaches can only have 10 out of season practices with their team. So, pre-season or travel ball is with another coach or organization.

Jun 8, 2016
Not bitter at all, maybe sad. Just pointing out that the word "team" in youth sports can mean something different than what I think it should. If your team only gets together for games and does not practice together then it sounds more like an All star event rather than a team.
I've seen these high level gathering of humans (who don't practice together) play. For the most part you wouldn't know they didn't practice together from the way they interact on the field, etc. They are all on the field, at that moment, with the same goal..Now maybe after the games they don't all go and hang out by the pool together but softball isn't supposed to be a sorority..

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I think you're correct that both have their bad apples. The problem is, at least where I'm from, most of the HS coaches are just teachers with little to no experience in coaching. They do it to make an extra $8-$10K for two months work.

That's not to say you don't see equally unqualified buffoons on the travel ball scene. Heck, I was one of them. The difference was I wasn't collecting a paycheck, and I knew when to walk away.

That's a lot for a HS coach. You'd think schools would want to get decent coaches if they're shelling out that kind of money.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
That's a lot for a HS coach. You'd think schools would want to get decent coaches if they're shelling out that kind of money.
You'd think, right? The problem is teachers in district get first dibs. They just have to be CPR and coaching certified, but they don't have to be proficient in a particular sport.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
You'd think, right? The problem is teachers in district get first dibs. They just have to be CPR and coaching certified, but they don't have to be proficient in a particular sport.

Is that a written/bargained policy or just a preference?

Here, all teachers with a valid teaching license (and retired teachers) are automatically certified to coach in HS. Pros and cons to that.

All else equal, I'd prefer to hire a teacher/staff member. Being in the building all day has benefits. The kids can get to know their coach better. It's another advocate for athletics who is always around. There are fewer potential scheduling conflicts. But it's silly to just open up coaching spots to any teacher who wants a check instead of looking for a real coach. If that's not an actual legal policy, they should try to get rid of it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles