High School Dead Periods

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2014
Anyone ever successfully challenged high school dead periods?

I can comprehend not using school funds, school facilities, or school resources during certain times of the year. But the notion that a high school athletic association can enforce what coaches and players involvement is outside of the school year seems absurd.

Jun 20, 2015
at least in Ohio, OHSAA influences a bunch of stuff outside of school year and season for each sport. Example, max 4 players from a HS softball team can be on same travel team.

Feb 7, 2014
at least in Ohio, OHSAA influences a bunch of stuff outside of school year and season for each sport. Example, max 4 players from a HS softball team can be on same travel team.
Yes, I think Indiana has the same concept. It's a great example of schools not administering sports well. A rule that's detrimental to sports and definitely hinders athletes and coaches.

Jun 20, 2015
Yes, I think Indiana has the same concept. It's a great example of schools not administering sports well. A rule that's detrimental to sports and definitely hinders athletes and coaches.
actually, for the majority of HS coaches that I've seen in action.... the less time travel players spend around them.. the better.

But there are good ones around as well.

Jun 8, 2016
I understand why that rule is in place but of all the team sports, having a team play together all year is least important in baseball/softball. There are top TB teams that never practice together..

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
I understand why that rule is in place but of all the team sports, having a team play together all year is least important in baseball/softball. There are top TB teams that never practice together..
This should draw our attention to the definition of the word "Team".

Jun 8, 2016
This should draw our attention to the definition of the word "Team".
Collection of humans was too many words. If you disagree with my comparison than just say so..I never said collection of human work wasn’t important..

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2014
actually, for the majority of HS coaches that I've seen in action.... the less time travel players spend around them.. the better.

One of the reasons I mention the issue is because in states that don't have these 'dead periods' (or carve out exceptions) the high school coach and Summer coach are often the same person. There's no logical argument to not allow players and coaches to play there sport in season... which for baseball and softball is the Summer.

It's the equivalent of high school athletic associations telling their high school coaches they have a non-compete agreement.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Collection of humans was too many words. If you disagree with my comparison than just say so..I never said collection of human work wasn’t important..
I agree with your statement " There are top TB teams that never practice together.." Just that it pushes my own definition of what a "Team" is.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle

Unfortunately it applies evenly to travel ball!!! Tired of the HS coach bashing!!! I have yet to see one in Wisconsin that fits what your describing!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles