Question for the high school parents

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Basketball is more infuriating to watch than softball, in particular with girls. Most girls are
too good at doing what they are supposed to..in basketball sometimes you need to go off script. Like I tell my kids, the goal is
to put the ball in the hoop..not make sure you pass it 10 times before a shot is taken (and 90% of the time after 3 passes it will be a turnover..) Of course I was accused of being a ball hog a few times so I may not be the best person to evaluate this..lol.

May 16, 2019
I'm watching my GS play basketball because he's never really played park ball; he doesn't know how to get open on his own. A FUNDAMENTAL of park ball.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Oct 10, 2018
HS coaches can be frustrating and I know one girl from TB (an excellent pitcher) who chooses not to play for her HS b/c of the coach and school politics. My DD's HS coach also coaches the wrestling team who is State Ch good. Wrestling runs up to the day softball begins. As a result we don't hear a word from him until wrestling is over - the first day of spring sports. Last year he picked a new HC for 2022 softball and he is going to assist this year. We hoped this meant the girls would get real attention. The local rec league offered her free weekly time at their facility to get to know the girls and so they could practice together but she would only sporadically answer their emails and nothing happened. Registration for HS opened on 2/14 but we haven't heard a word from her regarding captain's practices, tryouts, nothing. It's disappointing but I know my DD is going to have a great time, she loved playing with them last year despite the deficiencies, we learned to just roll with it.

May 17, 2012
Basketball is more infuriating to watch than softball, in particular with girls. Most girls are
too good at doing what they are supposed to..in basketball sometimes you need to go off script. Like I tell my kids, the goal is
to put the ball in the hoop..not make sure you pass it 10 times before a shot is taken (and 90% of the time after 3 passes it will be a turnover..) Of course I was accused of being a ball hog a few times so I may not be the best person to evaluate this..lol.

I would much rather coach girls than boys in basketball. It's not even close. I don't know why maybe the fact that if you tell girls to do something they actually do it. That can be good or bad to your point.

Jun 8, 2016
I would much rather coach girls than boys in basketball. It's not even close. I don't know why maybe the fact that if you tell girls to do something they actually do it. That can be good or bad to your point.
There is a happy medium for sure. I am talking about 8th grade and below where many girls seem afraid to create any offense on their own. Boys at that age seem a bit less “restricted”.

On the other end of the spectrum is the NBA 😂

Anyway, way off topic now..sorry 😕

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

I like to think athletes are athletes, but there are a few differences between boys and girls. You hit on maybe the biggest one.

Girls will follow directions. Exactly. At all times. The hardest thing is getting them to just be athletes out there. Sometimes you have to improvise. Sometimes you have to go off script, like you said.

It feels like the girls treat learning the game like memorizing the material for a test. If that exact situation arises in a game, they're probably fine, but if there's any kind of unusual scenario, they don't apply the underlying principles they've learned to do what they should. I'm sure there are some boys who are like this, too, but boys tend to be more willing to put themselves out there and try something that could fail miserably. A lot of girls, especially girls who are new to the sport, just don't want to look bad doing something they weren't specifically instructed to do.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Norman Dale only wanted 4 passes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi