here we go thnx guys

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
this is my dd, she turned 10. 3 months ago. she has another year at 10u.she's very strong and even though it doesn't look it in this video she throws very hard. i took a video of the change up i was asking about. but i didn't post it because i don't know if you guys can see it. amy thnk you for all your help, i've read every post on discussfastpitch.com[video]youtube gvm914[/video]

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
i know? i'm very new to all of this stuff.. i know the videos didn't come out good . i was just in a rush to get it to you guys and get some HELP !! i know they are long like i've said i'm a rookie to this...but that is the link i guess thanks

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
gvm, she is inconsistent...which is to be expected at 10. Some pitches she looks like she had decent form. Other times, she doesn't look so good.

I really like that she is relaxed. She'll uses a very simple, smooth back swing. She probably throws hard simply because she can can stay relaxed when she throws. You don't want to screw that up.

You fix her flaws one at a time. You have to focus on that particular flaw, fix it, and then move on to the next one.

(1) She needs to really get her follow through set. Most of the time, she releases the ball and then pulls her arm back.
(2) She donkey kicks about 50% of the time. A donkey kick is where she moves her right foot up violently at release.
(3) She doesn't always get open.
(4) She leans forward at release.

She has talent, but she needs to practice a lot.

I would tackle the follow through first. Read about "internal rotation". There are a couple of really good threads about internal rotation. From there, I would work on getting open.

I'm not sure how much you are practicing, but it isn't enough. She is way too inconsistent.

If you don't have one, get a catcher's mask. You are going to have to catch and watch your DD throw at the same time. A catcher's mask eliminates some problems...like broken noses.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Does she have a pitching coach? If not, get Bill Hillhouse's DVD.

She needs to throw a lot of Power K's. I am not seeing her getting to that Power K position, because her posture is sort of collapsed.

I agree with what Ray, said above, and I want to add that you need to sit much lower. I use a low gardening bench from Ace. It will put your glove down where your DD's catcher would be.

Also, get her a pitching rubber, lay down a power line for her and have her wear her cleats.

There is a lot to learn about getting open and having a nice relaxed arm throughout the windmill. Plus, developing good spin. Do you have her using a proper 4 seam grip?

One thing that I see her doing that many of my new students do, is she pitches and starts backing up. She needs to pitch, stop and go forward to receive the ball.

Keep asking questions. The video was very helpful.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
wow !!! you guys are awesome.... ok,i see what you mean i can't watch her pitch because i'm to worried about catching the ball and with the mask i at least won't get smashed.i've read the ir thread but some things i might not be understanding is their a particular drill to get her release better? i will do the k position though. i think she throws so hard because she's so strong but if i can fine tune these things, that would be great.i've probably let up on her a little because she went through such a hard time this year, she had to learn lesson's about life that a 9 yr old shouldn't have had to learn so early.so i was just happy things were getting better...she's a hard worker and really a good kid ,and thank you guys so much. whatever you guys can think of i'm all ears.sometimes she gets a real good spin and then the ball is flying. but your right inconsistent. oh ya she is using a 4 seam grip 3 fingers ,sometimes two

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2010
Everything about her is very natural for her age. She has good form, to advance now she needs to start working on lengthening her stride. She is young and like I said has good form. The softball pitching Edge DVD is an awesome video for teaching! It starts with basics and starts taking you through everything you need to know about getting more speed etc as well as all of the movement pitches are on it! I have watched it thousands of times working with my 16 year old and getting her to where she needs to be especially now that the plate has moved back! She actually looks good!

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
i'm sorry about the video being so long. but it was actually a good thing. i could've tried to find her best pitch and edited the rest out. but what good would that do? we would'nt have noticed the inconsistence in her pitching right? i , myself noticed some stuff. she's not crashing on her release like she should. witch kinda tells me she might be still hurtin', she hurt her knee a couple of weeks ago, but now she keeps saying she's ok? but now i wonder?? do you think i should let her practice, but go easy? or is that gonna create bad habits? she's doesn't look as aggressive, like she usually does? that's the thing with this one she doesn't cry about nuthin', then you find out later she's all banged up?jennie finch says jump out like a diver in a race and then crash?last night we worked on the flip change to go easy and it looked great... can't wait till saturday to use it in a game,stay tuned ...thank you guys !!!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
gvm, you need to start signing your posts, "gvm, crazy daddy", because you are going over the edge.

"Crashing"??? A 10 YOA girl isn't being aggressive enough?? You are talking nonsense.

jennie finch says jump out like a diver in a race and then crash

Jennie is an incredible athlete. But, get Bill Hillhouse's exceptional instructional DVD instead. It makes a lot more sense.

Last edited:

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
no... you know what i mean? i had just watched her video and that's what she said., something like that anyways? what i meant was how she is supposed to push her arms out and land in a figure four.i know, i know hillhouse... i'm waiting for it now.thank you, gvm crazy daddy

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish