Help with swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
The rear hip joint via the rear leg initiates the tilt. Whatever happens next is a result of that. It's a no teach. Try teaching kids to laterally bend the torso to swing and see what happens...talk about dumping.

The front hip opens because the rear leg wants to work under the pelvis.

The core pulse stiffens to protect the spine.

jSOP24.gif
iPruGp.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The rear hip joint via the rear leg initiates the tilt. Whatever happens next is a result of that. It's a no teach. Try teaching kids to laterally bend the torso to swing and see what happens...talk about dumping.

The front hip opens because the rear leg wants to work under the pelvis.

The core pulse stiffens to protect the spine.

jSOP24.gif
iPruGp.gif

I've done this with kids as young as 9. At first the notion of simultaneously tilting and turning may seem a bit foreign .... but they catch on rather quickly ... it's just not that complicated. In fact, often you have to tell them something such as "more tilt, less turn". I borrowed that cue from someone ... and can say that it works quite well for many young hitters.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
What do you tell them to turn? What do you tell them to tilt? The answer shouldn't be that complicated.

I have them cross their arms and place their hands on their shoulders. I do the same. I then simply tell them to turn to the pitcher. We both do this slowly. Generally three times.

I then tell them to tilt back to the catcher. We both do this slowly three times.

Then I tell them that I want them to tilt and turn at the same time ... for just the very beginning ... and that I want to do this tilt & turn quickly.

If the kid was a bug squisher .... that goes away ... which is a nice plus.

We pick up a bat ... walk away from our hands ... i.e., get the slack out of our system ... and swing with the body capturing transition with the tilting/turning action.

I'm pretty sure that description meets your request for simplicity :).

Apr 11, 2015
I have them cross their arms and place their hands on their shoulders. I do the same.
I'm sorry, but I have to ask....

From the above mentioned position, are you able to turn just your rear leg and hip forward like Turner, and Griffey are doing (a couple posts up)....without tilting your shoulders and/or torso?

Open question for everyone, not just FFS. I know I can't, and I would just like to know if that's just me, or if others experience the same thing. :confused:

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I'm sorry, but I have to ask....

From the above mentioned position, are you able to turn just your rear leg and hip forward like Turner, and Griffey are doing (a couple posts up)....without tilting your shoulders and/or torso?

Open question for everyone, not just FFS. I know I can't, and I would just like to know if that's just me, or if others experience the same thing. :confused:

I suspect you may be over complicating it .... or perhaps my description was overly simplistic.

Imagine a motion similar to this for the isolated turn to the pitcher.

Side_Rotation.gif

That's it ... turn to the pitcher.

Apr 11, 2015
I suspect you may be over complicating it .... or perhaps my description was overly simplistic.
Perhaps, but I'm reading you adding what seems to me an unnecessary step in the "tilt back to the catcher" part...if that's already accomplished automatically if/when the rear leg and hip turn toward the ball (not gonna say "pitcher" because I think that doesn't illustrate my true belief as was confused earlier), and why I asked if anyone else could turn the lower half forward w/o the top half tilting rearward in response to it.

Imagine a motion similar to this for the isolated turn to the pitcher.

Side_Rotation.gif

That's it ... turn to the pitcher.
Lost me here...turn what to the pitcher? You certainly can't mean turn the torso or shoulders towards the pitcher, and that's all I'm really seeing in the above gif. When the hips turn forward the torso/shoulders should still be turning or resisting (better term) rearwards. No?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Lost me here...turn what to the pitcher? You certainly can't mean turn the torso or shoulders towards the pitcher, and that's all I'm really seeing in the above gif. When the hips turn forward the torso/shoulders should still be turning or resisting (better term) rearwards. No?

Sure that's what I mean .... simply isolating the body's rotation (i.e., turning to the ball) without the inclusion of lateral side bend.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors