Help with new "pitcher"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
I am looking for some help getting my DD started. She is moving up to 8U this year and our league is girl pitch for the first two innings. She wants to learn to pitch but there is so much advice out there I do not know where to start.

If some of you will, think back to the time your daughters were starting out and let me hear some of your thoughts on good ways to introduce her to the circle. What worked for you and what didn't. I would prefer to hold off on actual lessons until I see if she has an true interest in pitching and if she does I will put her through a 2 day clinic a local university hosts this summer before finding a pitching coach.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
She "wants to learn to pitch" which is the most important thing right now. Some recommendations are to get Bill Hillhouse's DVD which is a good introduction to pitching. You can also read "The Windmill Pitcher" (by Sammons?). I personally would not wait until the summer for the pitching clinic. I assume she will be playing in the spring and will want to pitch now. If she is not prepared and doesn't pitch well, her enthusiam for the position may never come back.

I would make the investment in a quality pitching coach (PC) right now, even if its only for a few lessons, so she (and you) can learn the basics: proper grip, stride, arm circle, release, and follow through.

There are some key drills that the PC can show you to do at the beginning of every practice: wrist snaps (note: some think this is a waste of time, but I like it for new pitchers since they get used to the correct spin on the ball and can feel the ball come off of the finger tips); upper arm circles; "T" or "K" drills; flamingos/stork drill; walk-throughs; etc. When she pitches from the rubber after warm-up drills, she should draw a "powerline" in the dirt which is a straight line from the middle of the pitching plate, about 4 or 5 feet long, directly towards home plate. Her stride foot should land to the left of the powerline, at a 45% angle.

Get her off to a good start with proper mechanics and make it fun for her. Good luck!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I echo "get her a pitching coach", first. It is just too difficult to change a girl after she has attempted to throw for awhile. (Plus, it is frustrating to her.)

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Patience, patience and more patience. Get a dvd and watch it together. Be consistent on the basics. She will not be the next Finch or Osterman tomorrow, but could be the Finch or Osterman of tomorrow. And did I mention be patient.

May 25, 2010
I don't believe that 7yo's are necessarily forever broken just because they don't pitch properly from Day One. That said, would also highly encourage anyone with a very young pitcher to get proper instruction away from the team's practice, be it one-on-one or small group. Parents should know the basics, too, and then work with their young pitcher on those as often as she wants to.

Jul 26, 2010
Get her a pitching coach. There's no contract, you can quit any time (but please be kind to the PC and give some notice).

Most rec leagues will have pitching clinics set up in the pre-season with the specific goal of teaching the new herd of young pitchers. Might be worth contacting your local league.

-W

May 18, 2009
Sometimes highschool pitchers will work with the younger girls. Often times they come back to the local travel ball teams that helped them and donate time with the younger kids.

Jul 26, 2010
Sometimes highschool pitchers will work with the younger girls. Often times they come back to the local travel ball teams that helped them and donate time with the younger kids.

Good point. Many girls in HS need to do "volunteer hours" for particular courses and credits. This falls into that category so you could kill two birds with one stone.

Does your rec league have travel ball program? Ask the coach of the 18 or even 16u team if he has any pitchers willing to help out a new pitcher with a lesson or two. Give the girl a gift card or cash for her time.

-W

Jul 28, 2008
I echo "get her a pitching coach", first. It is just too difficult to change a girl after she has attempted to throw for awhile. (Plus, it is frustrating to her.)

I agree with Amy's statement. My daughter started at 8 with a pitching coach during the off season. She made Little League minors (drafted up from machine pitch rookie ball) that year and pitched a fair number of innings. She's still with the same pitching coach.

Apr 13, 2010
I think thinking back now that I wish we had done the pitching coach thing right away. I don't necessarily believe anyone is "broken" if you don't but the pitching coach can help you and your DD figure out if she has the passion and work ethic for the position. Being a pitcher is a lot of work. It's like playing an instrument, or being great at Math. You have to practice A LOT.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish