Help with new 9YOA pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2014
Sweeny, Tx
Just wanted some input on my daughters pitching progress. She is 9 and started pitching about 9 months ago and she only throws a fast ball but not everypitch has the same ball rotation so she gets alot of different movement from pitch to pitch. I have not figured out how she does it but the coach said not to try and fix what comes natural as long as she is throwing strikes. Her speed ranges anywhere from 43 to 46 with a few 35 to 38 mixed in there. I have been told she looks good for as long as she has been doing it so it make me proud of her. She has her ups and downs but she really works hard and wants it bad. I want to start having her learn fifferent pitches but I dont want her to lose her natural spin either. I will post video as soon as I can, any input good or bad will be appreciated.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
46 would be extremely fast for a 9yo. I would get a pocket radar, so that you can check that for yourself. Believe it or not, pitching coaches exaggerate a girl's speed, even more than dads do.

So, lets say that she is throwing 35 mph - that would be very normal. That would be from 35 ft. and an 11 inch ball. I don't teach any other pitches either. It is difficult enough, just learning to hit your spots and the corners and getting a little speed on the ball. Then, you have to learn the game, too and learn to hit.

Most folks that I work with don't even want to try a change up, because they are afraid that the batters will hit it. But, I would rather the girls learn it, and learn how to use it.

Some parents ask me to wait until the girl moves to the big ball and 40 feet, because I have to teach the same thing all over again.

So, if you are happy with your PC, then support her. You can still try new things with your DD just to make the work outs, fun.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd