Help with my daughters swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I think she isn't pushing into a firm front side (her front heel never touches the ground), and her hips do not rotate then much. I would look at recent post of hitting from the ground up. I (not sure anyone else recommends it) usually say keep your chin just behind your belly button, not in front. Her bat path looks really nice.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Watching again, I kind of take back the firm front leg comment, it looks ok. I think still though it looks like her upper body is pulling her lower body around.

May 29, 2011
Her bat path is what we have really worked hard on. She used to wrap it around her waist.

She also would collapse her front leg some so we firmed it up a good bit...probably more to do.

She always has had problems getting her hips involved. She used to leave her back foot pretty much in the same spot. What sort of drills should I use to get her lower body moving?

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
[video]http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=LnDyV03iGvU[/video]

Walkthoughs are one.

Jul 28, 2008
It looks to me like she's hitting the ball during the extension stage of the swing and not during the contact stage. In other words, she is setting up with the T too far out in front.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

What I call ichiros (ichiro suzuki's swing) are another. I have the girls bring their front foot back and up to their back knee. Balance there for a second, then launch into the swing, weight going forward until slamming into a firm front side pushing back, rotating hips.

Jan 1, 2011
Alabama
My DD has trouble getting her "back side in" rotating her hips. Her hitting coach has the #1 and #2 all time high school home run hitters and his team has the most homeruns by a team in a season.
NFHS | Holley sets national softball home run records

He had my DD do two drills that seemed to help. 1) hit off a tee while sitting in a folding chair. From the start her back knee is already turned toward the tee (in and down). 2) "skipping rocks" Candrea shows this in some of his videos. If you can't skip rocks across a pond you are not getting to connection with your hand, arm and HIP.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1