Help with Head tilt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 8, 2008
Long Island, NY
have a player who is tilting her head. The only way i can describe it is she goes from her eyes being horizontal to tilting her head so her eyes are almost vertical when she is in her swing. Do you have any drills or tips to work her out of this

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
have a player who is tilting her head. The only way i can describe it is she goes from her eyes being horizontal to tilting her head so her eyes are almost vertical when she is in her swing. Do you have any drills or tips to work her out of this

I had one girl who was so bad at this I made her a plastic tube and put end caps on the tube with a marble inside it and glued it to a clip like you hold paper folders with so it acted like a level. We clamped it on to her visor and if her head went to one side she could feel the marble move. I have done whatever it takes to get them to feel it and see it and fix it.

I would suggest working her in front of a mirror with her helmet on! Let her see herself in the mirror and ask her if she watches TV that way? Now point on to her that to track the ball what would be the best way to do it? Now take the helmet off and have her get into her stance and turn her head towards the pitcher and can you see the white area around her lead eye? That is a yes or no answer. If you can not see the white around the eye then look down at her feet and see if she is using a closed stance, even or slightly open. If even or closed then why can see not see the white around her lead eye? Gently put your hand on her head and turn her head more towards the pitcher and she should feel some discomfort in her neck and shoulder muscles. To relieve this have her move her back foot a little at a time towards home plate until the discomfort is gone. This is termed an open stance and usually 5 to 10 degrees or 2 to 4 inches is all that is required. Ask also is she has had lazy left eye surgery as this has played a part in stance and vision in my experience over the years.

Review the thread on tracking the ball and there are some good drills to help her.

Now that she has selected a stance she deemed comfortable lets work with it a little. Set her up off a tee to hit a ball up the middle and measure off a bats length off the back corner of the tee. Now have her look through the net as if there is an actual pitcher there and make believe the ball is just being thrown and she loads and steps looking at the pitchers window of release. Then after toe touch have her look at the ball on the tee BY keeping her eyes looking forward AND THIS IS THE CRITICAL PART, turn her head while the eyes are forward and explain to her to turn her head and use the nose as an indicator of where the head is turning a little towards the second baseman's normal playing position if she is a right handed hitter. This gives her head a head start as the head can move as fast as the eyes and then use her eyes to track the ball to the tee. Next place a paper towel or tissue inside the tee and ask her to stay focused on the tee after the ball is hit so she can see the towel/ tissue after she is done. After enough swings on the tee try it with soft toss and again have her look through the net and lower your hand and she will load and she steps as you throw the ball tracking by moving her head first and then her eyes next. We also do a drill termed face the fire and feel it helps for this issue also and it is listed in a thread how to do it.

Thanks Howard

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck