Help with DD U Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Look again … IMO two of the above hitters have their hands move rearward in response to their rear hip moving forward … while one of the hitters moves their hands rearward first.

May 22, 2012
Trying to see what you are seeing, and understand what is best. Looking back on this thread it seems we have been given the following advice below.

Is she following this advice?
Do you not agree with this advice?

And also please feel free to comment on the you tube clips. We keep working.

Ray r " like the hands going back during the stride - but I would like to see the rear elbow go back like she is elbowing someone." and

Rich K "Pretty typical, her hands are less active then they need to be. Teach her to use them. Basically, as she loads the upper half back during her stride (nice job) she needs to load her hands. Some cues are: point the knob back to the catcher, or "tip" the barrel toward the pitcher. Another cue is to try to keep the barrel vertical longer (one thing I really like to do is stand behind hitter and hold the barrel in my hand and let the hitter feel how they can manipulate the barrel with their hands during this portion of the swing -- while they swing in slow-mo--not a full-speed swing!).

Then, while keeping the hands near rear shoulder, she should turn the barrel in the other direction (which will send the barrel behind her) and then let her hips go first and the barrel will follow to contact).

In short, be sure that the hands make the elbow go up and back. Don't just raise the elbow."

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Trying to see what you are seeing, and understand what is best. Looking back on this thread it seems we have been given the following advice below.

Is she following this advice?
Do you not agree with this advice?

And also please feel free to comment on the you tube clips. We keep working.

Ray r " like the hands going back during the stride - but I would like to see the rear elbow go back like she is elbowing someone." and

Rich K "Pretty typical, her hands are less active then they need to be. Teach her to use them. Basically, as she loads the upper half back during her stride (nice job) she needs to load her hands. Some cues are: point the knob back to the catcher, or "tip" the barrel toward the pitcher. Another cue is to try to keep the barrel vertical longer (one thing I really like to do is stand behind hitter and hold the barrel in my hand and let the hitter feel how they can manipulate the barrel with their hands during this portion of the swing -- while they swing in slow-mo--not a full-speed swing!).

Then, while keeping the hands near rear shoulder, she should turn the barrel in the other direction (which will send the barrel behind her) and then let her hips go first and the barrel will follow to contact).

In short, be sure that the hands make the elbow go up and back. Don't just raise the elbow."

I will keep my comments to the 'new' Youtube clips. (unable to view at work)

Apr 23, 2012
IMHO- I would work on strengthen up her wrist and getting her to get to full extension. Her wrists are breaking at contact. One way to work on strengthen up the wrist is with a 1 1/2 inch piece of PVC about a ft long with rope attached to center with weight on the other end. Have her hold it in her palms at eye level with arms extended fully out and roll the weight up.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
rxoek.gif

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Stickpile you have some cute girls.

Something to check
At set up if the hands are outside the elbows, the swing most of the time will be circular (hitting across the ball). I set them up to where if you take the top hand off the bat, you can move it forward and punch yourself in the front arm bicep.

Hope that makes sense.

SL

May 22, 2012
been ages since I updated this thread. Thought I would add a post to celebrate and commemorate DD's first Out of the Park home Run. Thanks for everyone's help!!!!

hsQb0gm.jpg

Aug 17, 2015
Offhand, first couple of things that stick out are the front leg bent and head not on the ball. Wrists rolling versus swinging through the ball. At point of contact, player should be in this position as shown in several other posts (look at waist down and waist up). If arms are in this position at point of contact then this is where they come into play in the swing with extending through the ball for extra power. Load, hips/hands, extend/finish. She is 10 so there is time. If you look for a hitting coach find someone who is a teacher - who helps them understand why they are doing what the coach is asking them to do! E.G. put front foot at 45 degree angle for balance and to allow the hips to rotate fully.
Batting.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie