Helmets with face mask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Next time a kid complains about poor visablity when they have to wear a helmut with a face mask show them this video of Pirate's pitcher AJ Burnett in bunting practice the other day Video: A.J. Burnett bunts ball off his face - Yankees Blog - ESPN New York (first 20 seconds of video the rest is ESPN interviews)

AJ is having reconstructive facial surgery today becuase of a broken orbital socket bone. Hope he has a full recovery and no loss of vision.

I don't have a problem with college players and MLBers not wearing helmet with face masks; they know the risks and if they want to take them I'm fine with that but kids should always be wearing a helmet with a face shield of some sort.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I took a pitch right below my right eye when I was 7. It knocked me out, gave me a swollen shiner for a month, but still I have no feeling in my right upper cheek and a huge red spot when it gets cold.

Dec 7, 2011
I think there was a great (sad) example in the NCAA playoffs last year too. I believe a Baylor catcher at bat got clocked by her own foul.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I remember that Baylor game. I have tried on the kids helmets and ok the walmart face masks are a bit bulky, but rip it and most helmet companies make masks that don't block vision at all. DW had youngest at baseball camp, he was only boy with facemask on helmet. She asked one of the dads why non of the boys wear them, response "cause they don't think it looks cool."

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Has anyone ever used the e-mask, the plastic face masks? That's by far the favorite mask that I've ever used... remember when one of the college players took a foul ball to a wire face mask and the metal bent, breaking her jaw? A lot of people in my area switched to these after that. I wore a helmet with an e-mask on it while playing HS ball and coaching rec league. A lot of the girls liked the open look to the masks and the lightness of it, so they bought helmets like that one.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
One of my rec girls fouled the ball hard right off her batting helmet cage in our game just this Thursday evening.

Since they are compulsory in our rec league and all local travel leagues I didn't even think about it until I read this thread. Now I have thought about it, that ball would have likely hit her right in the face and hard. No cage on her helmet and there is no doubt she would have had a serious injury.

I remember saying "That's why we have that" and I think she laughed.

Oct 27, 2009
I purchased the Rip-It helmet cage and the improved sightlines and less metal to look through than most manufacturers stock cages. It costs anywhere from 15-20 depending on where you buy it from. Every advantage I can give my DD is worth it.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The most important thing is to find a face mask that does not obstruct your DD vision while she is batting. There are different styles and sizes so I am sure everyone can find one that works. Most kids don't like to use them because they are not considered 'cool'. We tell our players they do not have to wear one, but if they don't we will DH for them!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13