Heat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Well, four games today..and it was def hot one out there. First game was 8am, and second was at 930. Those two weren't too bad. Hour break, and then two more games back to back. I, and several parents today had what we though was enough waters for both days, and we ran out today. Girls were downing water bottles like crazy. We did go 3-1 today, so first game tomorrow is at 12.

Cannonball...we are at St Charles this weekend. We do have some friends playing in the one I think you are talking about.

DD's team is at Wesclin. They are undefeated and will still have to win 4 games tomorrow to win it all. It is going to be brutal.

Jun 12, 2015
Our girls were pretty clearly out of gas by game 4 yesterday. It was so, so hot. And I had an umbrella.

Dec 1, 2015
Southern IL
tourney today, had other teams catcher almost go down and had to be pulled from the game. Another game yesterday the pitcher was begging to come out. Keep those girls hydrated!

Jun 12, 2015
There was a point yesterday I got kind of worried about one of our catchers. The pitcher pitched, a good pitch, and it went right by the catcher and she didn't even move. I was really worried she might be about to fall over. This heat is no joke. She was OK but catchers especially have it rough this time of year with all that stuff they have to wear.

Apr 8, 2013
I will say this. Yes, it was hot this weekend and extremely hot at times. But if it was hot for your team, it was hot for the other team too. With that in mind, make sure you don't whine too much about the heat in front of your kids, as that can put it in your kids head that they can use the heat as an excuse. I've seen it with hot weather, cold weather and rain.

A few years ago I was the AC on a team. There was a light rain. It was the state tournament. Tournament director said game on, as the field was well built and things weren't that bad at all. Our HC had a hissy fit about how we shouldn't be playing, someone's going to get hurt, this is ridiculous, etc. All in front of the kids. And then we went out there and got destroyed by a team that we had beat every time we played them that spring. The team played hesitant, and every time something went wrong they blamed the rain. And I've seen similar in cold weather. Parents telling their kids it's too cold to play, coaches complaining. It bleeds over into the kids and they use it as an excuse to not push through when the going gets tough.

Embrace the extreme weather, whatever it is, and know that your opponent is suffering in it as much as you.

May 13, 2015
My niece turned me on to Bana (water). It is a miracle in a bottle. No more headaches from the heat.

And I have a rule - players cannot mention the heat during the game, unless they are sick.

Do you order it online or have you found a place that sells it locally?

Apr 26, 2015
Heat can be difficult! It has been so cold here for so long and now BAM HOT!!!!

I do worry for DD - she is a catcher and 2 years ao she passed out right in front of her coach from the heat. He was giving her some last minute instruction and all of a sudden he said her eyes rolled in the back of her head and she just crumpled to the ground. Since then she has been pretty good about staying hydrated and using her cooling towels. She also has a cooling headband that she will wear inside her helmet. She hates Gatorade so all she will drink is water. She loves watermelon and frozen grapes.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Dd's team played relatively well for the weekend, going 4-2. Beat teams we should have, and ran into a pitcher that we couldn't figure out yesterday, knocking us out of the tournament. That team ended up winning the tournament.

The coaches, and all of us parents stressed to the girls all weekend to drink a lot of water. Water bottles/gatorade bottles were filling and overflowing every trash can around the fields by the end of the days. Only had one girl that got a little overheated on Saturday. Cooling towels applied,and more water and she was good to go. Next weekend suppose to be a little cooler thankfully.

Jun 11, 2013
We played the weekend of 5-6 and it was over 100 both days. We had each catcher do 1 game and then switched every inning in game 3. The ump wasn't too
happy with all the changes, but we got through it. DD was gassed after catching 3.5 games that weekend. I don't know how the teams do it with only 1. We do have
to play state tourney with only 1 catcher this year, but it's 3 days with only 2 a day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom