Head first slide?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Yes, but only use it to dive back into the base. I had a pitcher break her pitching hand when she hit the corner of the bag, plus with metal spikes easy to get your hand stepped on.

Mar 1, 2013
Agreed with SBFAMILY. ASA doesn't address sliding beyond stating that a runner may do it in order to avoid a collision with a fielder at a base.

FWIW, USSSA defines a slide and states that a runner may slide feet first OR head first. PONY defines it similarly.

I understand that some local leagues (especially rec/community leagues) have gone the route of outlawing the head first slide. It's more of a safety thing than an "unsportsmanlike act" thing.

Mar 2, 2013
In ASA, rules pertaining to sliding do not even discuss feet first for head first sliding.

The only code I could think of that limits head first sliding by rule (not some local rule) is Little League, and even there it only applies to certain age groups.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I grew up watching Pete Rose and his infamous head first slides, but I certainly don't want my DD, or any of our players doing it! It is not worth the risks. They will dive back to the bag on pickoff moves, but no running head first slides.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Most rec leagues don't allow head first slides because stats show there are more injuries sliding that way. However, though there are more injuries that way, I have found most of these are broken and jammed fingers. Feet first slides have less injuries, but they are broken legs and ankles. IMHO

Mar 1, 2013
True, Al. Especially if the bases don't break away and you get a bad/awkward slide.

My DD's best friend was on a team I coached several years ago. She's a catcher and we all know that they are both crazy and tough as nails. First inning of a game, she walked then went 1st to 3rd on the next batter's single. Sliding into third, you could tell she had jammed her ankle. We requested time and went and checked her out. She was moving it OK, could bear weight and it wasn't swelling, so we let her decide. She stayed in the game. 3rd inning, she ropes a triple. 4th inning, she knocks a double in the gap. She came around to score on the next batter and I saw she was limping a little. I asked her if that ankle was bothering her and she said, "It's sore, but I'm OK". She started suiting up and I could see that she was really favoring the other leg. As she adjusted her socks so she could get her catcher's gear on, I saw that her entire ankle was swollen and purple. I told our backup to suit up and went over and said, "Sara, we're taking you out." She said, "I'm fine coach" and started on the field. I had to grab her by the catcher's gear to stop her from going on the field. We iced it and I called her mom to come take her to the hospital. Busted ankle. She ended up being out for the majority of the season. The kid kept wanting to help out with the team. I would constantly find her sneaking around the equipment shed to warm up a pitcher. I told her, "You're mom is going to kill me if I don't stop you from squatting in your cast." :D She still plays and plays hard. She's had a lot of crap in her life and softball is an awesome release for her. She's a great hitter and a smart base runner. Blocks wild pitches with the best of them.

Sorry, for the long story. It's not really relevant to the discussion either.

Jun 22, 2008
Most rec leagues don't allow head first slides because stats show there are more injuries sliding that way. However, though there are more injuries that way, I have found most of these are broken and jammed fingers. Feet first slides have less injuries, but they are broken legs and ankles. IMHO

Are these the same rec leagues that in the name of safety then institute a "must slide at home" rule?

Oct 25, 2009
What worries me the most about head first slides is the risk of injury to the neck or spine. I discourage (and try to forbid) head first slides at home. There is no game worth a lifetime in a wheelchair!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1