Hawkins Magic Carpet Ride

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
hawkins_rise_pan_1200_zpsga3yay59.gif

hawkins_rise_side250_zpslt0rfqai.gif

Impressive, no doubt - but to be perfectly honest all I see is a BLATANT illegal pitch.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Impressive, no doubt - but to be perfectly honest all I see is a BLATANT illegal pitch.

I'm not seeing anything so BLATANT, myself;
so I'm curious what you are keying on?

Her back toe MIGHT be a few inches rearward of maintaining contact with the pitcher's plate?

Also, her front foot leaves contact with the plate, BUT all before her hands separate;
so I see no infraction there.

Dec 16, 2010
Last week, Denny Tincher held a couple of jumpropes ~9 inches high, had my dd (and another girl) remove their shoes, and hop over the barriers off their drive foot (one-footed).

Denny explained that this gives the pitcher the feel of bringing their drive foot with them instead of letting it drag behind.

The point of shoes off is to have the hoppers land on the ball of their foot. Landing flat-footed hurts less with shoes on and Denny wants them landing on the balls of their foot.

Not a panacea--both pitchers hopped ~30 seconds, both immediately improved their glide somewhat when their shoes went back on. But you wouldn't mistake either for Hawkins.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
What I have found is that it is often a timing issue. Instead of pushing off the rubber right away, the pitcher will throw the drive leg out without really engaging the pivot leg right away. Then she will push off, hence the back leg/foot getting left behind. I will work with pitchers to actually push as soon as the stride leg knee passes the pivot knee. Some get it right away, others don't.

I will also have them skip/use high knees to get a feel for the timing. In reading the earlier message it occurred to me to have the pitcher skip a couple of times to start her launch - like the walk-up drill, but instead of walking three steps skip two or three steps instead. If nothing else it should be fun.

Side note: I sprained my right ankle a couple of weeks ago after slipping on an ice patch and having my left leg go out while the right one stayed firmly in place thanks to my new shoes. When I just tried the skip up it hurt like heck.

Feb 7, 2013
What's illegal about it?

Her left foot comes off the pitching plate as she starts her back swing. Technically illegal since she must remain in contact with the pitching plate until she strides forward.

BTW - one of our resident experts, Java, would be proud since he teaches this method.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles