Hawkins Magic Carpet Ride

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Then the powers that be need to use only set of pitching rules (the international men's rules) regardless of gender...not calling it because her foot is over the plate is the same as not calling it "because she's not getting any advantage..."...BS...if it's not an advantage why do it?

Isn't it in the rules that if the foot loses contact with plate it won't be called if it doesn't move any closer to the plate? Like if you do a replacement step? Just asking cuz I thought I read that in the rules?

I hate tacos- said no Juan anywhere

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Isn't it in the rules that if the foot loses contact with plate it won't be called if it doesn't move any closer to the plate? Like if you do a replacement step? Just asking cuz I thought I read that in the rules?

I've never seen any such rule in any rule set (ASA, USSSA, NFHS, NCAA). However, Comp might know differently.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
NCAA Rules:

Section 10.3 Start of the Pitch
The pitch officially begins and cannot be discontinued once the hands have
separated after coming together.

Section 10.4 Step/Stride
In the act of delivering
the pitch, the pitcher must move toward home
plate by pushing off the pivot foot from the pitcher’s plate, taking one step/
stride forward toward home plate and landing on or within the lines of the
pitcher’s lane.

10.4.2 A portion of the nonpivot foot must remain in contact with the pitcher’s
plate at all times before beginning the forward step.
Note: If the pitcher has toed the pitcher’s plate and, without stepping or sliding
backward, simply drops her heel that forces her to lose contact with the pitcher’s
plate, there is no violation.

10.4.3 It is legal to slide the pivot foot forward or across the pitcher’s plate
provided contact with the pitcher’s plate is maintained.
Exception:
Physical contact with the pitcher’s plate may be lost if all of the following apply:

10.4.3.1 The pivot foot is considered to be pushing off the pitcher’s plate
when the pitcher, while still in contact with the pitcher’s plate, turns,
twists or bends her pivot foot.

10.4.3.2 If the pivot foot has not reduced the distance to home plate.

10.4.3.3 The pivot foot must remain in contact with the ground; however,
rocking onto either the toe or heel is allowed.

When reading this part, the exception, thats kinda what I got out of it. ...But I'm not an ump

Exception:
Physical contact with the pitcher’s plate may be lost if all of the following apply:

10.4.3.1 The pivot foot is considered to be pushing off the pitcher’s plate
when the pitcher, while still in contact with the pitcher’s plate, turns,
twists or bends her pivot foot.

10.4.3.2 If the pivot foot has not reduced the distance to home plate.

I interpret that as it being ok to take a replacement step? Am I wrong?

But then I read this part and I think maybe not.

10.4.3.3 The pivot foot must remain in contact with the ground; however,
rocking onto either the toe or heel is allowed.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
I know, I was being a little facetious, but he has advocated in the past that picking up the pivot foot (off the pitching plate) to get a weight transfer before the push off was acceptable to him even though technically not allowed under the pitching rules.

She uses a bend then rolling start. Yukio does, too. This gives her knee the time necessary for her to engage her drive.

I agree with Ken. The disassociation many pitchers use when striding vs driving often creates a late push from the plate. To see this on video, you look for total extension at the knee by 3 o'clock. If you want to learn to glide you need to learn to explode off of the plate. For those just starting out with this concept, it's best to do some general lower body conditioning can then work on a plyometric jump routine. Leap and drag mechanics require proper muscle sequencing. Like the movie... white men can't jump... some can naturally, some need to learn.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Seconding knightsb's suggestion to learn optimum sequencing through the Pushback/2 Step. Try this: Do some high skips and vary the use of the hands and knee. Feel for how driving the hands and knee can add to the height of the skip. Done well, you'll feel the hands and knee pull the body higher. Once you can feel it during high skips, see if you can get the same feeling driving forward. To start, just swing the arms out to 3 o'clock and stop--you should feel a similar effect of being pulled.

I am giving this a bump as I have seen some questions lately regarding the drive foot staying connected to the rubber. Several "fixes" have been thrown out to this problem and I am not the expert but I will quote Ken above as the "fix" could be much more simple than some might think.

I know that I have instructed my daughter to "PUSH" harder and go further over the years off the rubber. You need a strong leg drive and need to really get out there I would tell her. While this is all true to some degree the result was her "REACHING" with her stride foot further and further over the years.

Once I thought through the skipping post Ken put out, re-read Java's drive mechanics with a new set of eyes, did I realize the stride knee should pull the body and drive leg with it. See Ken's post above.

So, in the most simplistic terms, try to have your DD skip. Have her exaggerate how high the knee can go and you will see her drive leg get pulled with it. Once you get that down and the feel for it the next step IMO is to adjust the up and out so that you get the stride knee just high enough so that your drive toe stays on the ground as it is pulled.

Hope it helps someone!
S3

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2012
USA
oh, almost forgot, a little humor for the girls that helps them understand and earns some giggles....

What did the drive foot say to the stride knee????

quit pulling my leg:)

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Seconding knightsb's suggestion to learn optimum sequencing through the Pushback/2 Step. Try this: Do some high skips and vary the use of the hands and knee. Feel for how driving the hands and knee can add to the height of the skip. Done well, you'll feel the hands and knee pull the body higher. Once you can feel it during high skips, see if you can get the same feeling driving forward. To start, just swing the arms out to 3 o'clock and stop--you should feel a similar effect of being pulled.

Another bump on this as the advice is priceless.....

Nov 25, 2012
USA
javasource makes it sound much cooler.

Lol, yes, he does but sometimes the most simple terms are what turns on the light bulb. As I look back on the things I have learned here at DFP since 2012 it still amazes me that the things I have learned is the OPPOSITE of what most are taught or the OPPOSITE of what somebody might think is going on. The biggest is at is relates to PUSH and PULL.

Board Member - Pull the ball down versus Push the ball
Board Member - Pulling the bat around with the left arm (RH batter) versus pushing it with the right. *still look at his broom video ever so often.
Ken B/Java - Drive the stride knee up and it will pull the body. **this one we struggled with what feels like forever. I was so focused on pushing hard from the rubber to get out there but if you don't also pull your body with the stride knee you will leave your drive foot way behind and kill your drive. You have to PULL with the stride knee "get it up and out".

Anyway, I find myself looking at things now and thinking if I do the opposite of what I am seeing what will happen........

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles