Hawkins Magic Carpet Ride

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
NCAA Rules:

Section 10.3 Start of the Pitch
The pitch officially begins and cannot be discontinued once the hands have
separated after coming together.

Section 10.4 Step/Stride
In the act of delivering
the pitch, the pitcher must move toward home
plate by pushing off the pivot foot from the pitcher’s plate, taking one step/
stride forward toward home plate and landing on or within the lines of the
pitcher’s lane.

10.4.2 A portion of the nonpivot foot must remain in contact with the pitcher’s
plate at all times before beginning the forward step.
Note: If the pitcher has toed the pitcher’s plate and, without stepping or sliding
backward, simply drops her heel that forces her to lose contact with the pitcher’s
plate, there is no violation.

10.4.3 It is legal to slide the pivot foot forward or across the pitcher’s plate
provided contact with the pitcher’s plate is maintained.
Exception:
Physical contact with the pitcher’s plate may be lost if all of the following apply:

10.4.3.1 The pivot foot is considered to be pushing off the pitcher’s plate
when the pitcher, while still in contact with the pitcher’s plate, turns,
twists or bends her pivot foot.

10.4.3.2 If the pivot foot has not reduced the distance to home plate.

10.4.3.3 The pivot foot must remain in contact with the ground; however,
rocking onto either the toe or heel is allowed.

Last edited:
May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I think he'd prefer she use the move to get her hips moving forward rather than bending and moving the hips rearward.

yes. Hawkins implements what Java terms a "rolling start". you can search for a recent post by him, defining the differences between what Hawkins does and what Abbott does, for example.

Mar 12, 2009
Her left foot comes off the pitching plate as she starts her back swing. Technically illegal since she must remain in contact with the pitching plate until she strides forward.

BTW - one of our resident experts, Java, would be proud since he teaches this method.

I don't agree that Java teaches this method. I do agree he would prefer the pivot foot to slightly rise off the ground as it slides to the left or right while transferring weight rearward but he doesn't prefer the heel/toe "rocking motion" so your statement may be a little misleading.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
I have been told as long as any part of the foot in over the plate, they wont call it.

Then the powers that be need to use only set of pitching rules (the international men's rules) regardless of gender...not calling it because her foot is over the plate is the same as not calling it "because she's not getting any advantage..."...BS...if it's not an advantage why do it?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Her left foot comes off the pitching plate as she starts her back swing. Technically illegal since she must remain in contact with the pitching plate until she strides forward.

After watching some of the crow hopping, leaping, and skipping that is not called an IP I doubt an umpire is going to call to Hawkins for losing contact with the plate unless there is very noticeable slide of her left foot away from the back of the pitching rubber after she starts her wind up.

Feb 7, 2013
[/B]

I don't agree that Java teaches this method. I do agree he would prefer the pivot foot to slightly rise off the ground as it slides to the left or right while transferring weight rearward but he doesn't prefer the heel/toe "rocking motion" so your statement may be a little misleading.

I know, I was being a little facetious, but he has advocated in the past that picking up the pivot foot (off the pitching plate) to get a weight transfer before the push off was acceptable to him even though technically not allowed under the pitching rules.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles