Hands go back or stay put

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
After reviewing several swing clips I observed that some elite hitters move their hands back while they stride and others just leave them in the same spot. Which is better? Why?

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
After reviewing several swing clips I observed that some elite hitters move their hands back while they stride and others just leave them in the same spot. Which is better? Why?

Depends where they start.... did you notice any themes in handsets of those who moved vs those who didn't move?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
DragonC ... What you are describing is basically ‘Stretching’. Some view this as preparation to take advantage of stretch-and-fire launch mechanics. The hitter is in a sense holding their momentum back with their hands, which can give the ‘feel’ of the hands being in control of the release of the swing.

The inclusion of ‘Stretch’ in the swing sequence is what Jim Dixon considered to be a differentiating characteristic between a “good hitter” and an “exceptional hitter”.

Tewks … would like to hear more about your thoughts on hand cocking and hand sets … especially in terms of the sequence as to when the hands are cocked/loaded and how it influences the creation of 'Stretch'.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
Depends where they start.... did you notice any themes in handsets of those who moved vs those who didn't move?

They started as high as ear and as low as back shoulder and they started at shoulder level. The ones that moved their hands back usallally cocked their wrist and created more angle (knob toward catcher bat head pointed more forward across pony tail hole.)

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia

Do you consider Pujols to be a hitter who keeps his hands in the same spot? Hitters use different styles to COCK their hands.

Jul 26, 2010
My daughter is being taught to move her hands back slightly just prior to toe touch. The movement is slight, pretty much straight back towards the catcher just enough to apply load to the back leg (felt in her quads). After this, she steps/touches with her front foot.

Now, she is taught to load (hands back) and then touch, however in practice, I observe the load continue as she touches, IE the hands continue to move back very slightly and her torso/rear shoulder twists a degree or two in the opposite direction of her swing. It is from this point that her swing begins.

Which of these mechanics is wrong and which is correct? She's 11, and has only had a few lessons with this particular hitting instructor. I like what I see and my daughter loves the instructor, but I'm curious as to how and where the "stretch" is applied and if indeed what she is doing (albeit perhaps incorrectly) is in the right sequence of the swing.

-W

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
Do you consider Pujols to be a hitter who keeps his hands in the same spot? Hitters use different styles to COCK their hands.

Id say his hands stay pretty close but the rest of his body moves making it appear that his hands are going back but actually they are stayn put but his body is moving forward. (they might also move back slightly, hard to tell)

Oct 25, 2009
My daughter is being taught to move her hands back slightly just prior to toe touch. The movement is slight, pretty much straight back towards the catcher just enough to apply load to the back leg (felt in her quads). After this, she steps/touches with her front foot.

Now, she is taught to load (hands back) and then touch, however in practice, I observe the load continue as she touches, IE the hands continue to move back very slightly and her torso/rear shoulder twists a degree or two in the opposite direction of her swing. It is from this point that her swing begins.

Which of these mechanics is wrong and which is correct? She's 11, and has only had a few lessons with this particular hitting instructor. I like what I see and my daughter loves the instructor, but I'm curious as to how and where the "stretch" is applied and if indeed what she is doing (albeit perhaps incorrectly) is in the right sequence of the swing.

-W

This sounds good to me. The key word being continue. I would stick with the instructor. Remember, the swing should flow--not step.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I like the hands to stay close to the back shoulder. They can tilt the bat a bit -- point the knob back at the catcher -- but I find if they take their hands back too far it throws off their timing and they wind up with the back elbow coming forward while the hands stay back. Then you get the dreaded bat drag.

I'm sure there are high level players that can push their hands way back and still avoid bat drag. But for the ones I see, getting the hands back too far is really deadly.

Oct 19, 2009
I look at the load of the hand as a very subtle move; the bat lays on the small indention in shoulder the hands come straight up, then the hands come back (straight back when loading) the most 2 inches. Staying away from extremes, the more extreme any part of the swing the more athletic the batter needs to be, to be consistent.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck