Hand Behind Glove?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
Jul 30, 2013
Thanks for the input all. There is one player on the team that puts her hand behind her glove on everything hit or thrown to her. She also turns her glove sideways. Good player, but I cringe every time I watch her catch a ball.

My DD doesn't need another bad habit. She does this thing where she stabs at the ball with her glove and then twists it. Wasn't that long ago that she was trying to catch everything palm up, which I see a lot of young players do. Seems like softball is a series of 2 steps forward, 1 step back. Correct and repeat.

Mar 26, 2013
SoCal, that is it and it was a one handed catch. Oh, well.
There are many things MLB players do that shouldn't be emulated. ;)

For example, I grimace whenever I see a pro casually catch a ball with the glove beside them, outside their peripheral view. They may get away with it, but it's inviting trouble with a less experienced/skilled player.

Jun 29, 2013
That sound s like real old school coaching with the hand behind the glove. When I was in 5th grade many years ago I was playing catch with a guy who was about 25 and he told me he was taught to catch that way. Ball lands in the web of the glove and you squeeze the back of the web to secure it. It isn't a terrible idea if your DD has real small hands and is otherwise afraid or too indecisive to use the second hand (it happens, some kids just think trying to catch with two hands throws off their balance and will cause them to get hit in the head.) Not the preferred way to catch but if it works, its better than dropping one.

Jun 29, 2013
listen...ball hits glove..throwing hand covers glove! that's it and simple

Respectfully, it isn't for 8-11 year-olds. I've seen dozens who can't master that skill, as easy as it is for us to do it, or as easy as it sounds. If you have a girl with a real phobia of getting hit with a ball no amount of telling them it is easy is going to work, they have to figure this one out for themselves, and from what I've seen over the years lots of them find it easier to catch the ball one-handed for a variety of reasons. This isn't the way I would do it, wouldn't be my first option to teach, but then again I'd never teach my son to hit like Youkalis and that worked pretty well for him.

Aug 20, 2013
Could ANYONE show a pic of what you mean with what you are explaining? I can think of about 10 different things that "cover the glove" could look like. I get thumbs together and I know what alligator looks like.

We are trying to get rid of the habit of the basket catch and I am trying to give the right instruction of how to let the throwing hand assist, but I just can't picture much of what is being talked about on this thread. Any visuals would be appreciated.

GG

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes