Hand Behind Glove?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
We may be talking semantics. What it isn't is snatching the ball out of the air, with the glove only, while the bare hand is at your side.

There was a play, during the recent MLB playoffs. One OFer calling another off, because he was going to have a better angle - and he threw a pea to home plate. Out. Can anyone find a video or remember it better?

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Using two hands wasn't the issue. Second hand behind the glove is what the op is about. Should not put the second hand behind the glove

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I have told girls that catch flies next to their head, low, to their side, etc. (there has only been a couple) to put their throwing hand on the back of their glove. It naturally centers their glove up in front and above them.

Nov 17, 2010
[video]http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/3053419/marteoops.gif[/video]

TWO HANDS PLEASE!

I think this play was more a problem of drifting to the ball instead of running hard and getting set before making the catch. The ball hit the heel of the glove almost at his wrist. I don't think a two handed catch would have helped.

Jun 1, 2013
The disagreement is not about 2 hands. It is the placement of the second hand. It does not go behind the glove as support. The second hand is out front with the glove or thumb slightly behind the outside of webbing or glove thumb. It helps secure the ball and hand is closer to take ball from glove.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
You guys should see some of the gloves, that I see girls using. That is why some of them need the support. "But, I want to use grandpa's glove that he used in high school!" :confused:

Aug 6, 2013
Using two hands wasn't the issue. Second hand behind the glove is what the op is about. Should not put the second hand behind the glove
You are correct - But you need to start with two hands.

NO, hand does not go behind the glove. It goes with the throwing hand thumb and index finger resting behind thumb of Glove out at the edge. Catch ball around ear level when possible to aid in getting the ball out and throwing in a fluid motion.

And yes - Marte drifted to the ball because it was a lazy fly ball that he had made 5,000 times since he was 8 years old. The ball gods will always punish those who will take the out for granted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad