Haley

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
I always thought you wanted a 'soft focus' with the eyes and that trying to pick out numbers/colors on balls was opposite of that...any thoughts?

My understanding is soft focus occurs just prior to the pitch and at release.. like when trying to pick up the ball at release point. However when the ball is speeding towards home plate I'd imagine you want the hitter to zero in a little more... pick up the spin etc

I'm really just guessing here, personally I didn't perform any drills like that. All we did was some hand eye cordination and I was more successful doing that with hard focus. Besides that, I just stood in the box and let her rip :)

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Hi Mike, curious what you are now doing differently. I have my interpretation of the drill which i feel needs to be more full speed and an attempt to barrel up the ball with a full swing. Like the gif of Bonds when he is talking about hammering Jennie Finch's rise ball. In working with my DD i notice that she continues to drop the hands and it allows her body to stay in a bad posture. My opinion on the drill is that you cannot drop your hands to mimic Bonds hands in the gif. And by starting with high hands and not dropping, the only way you can progress out to farther and rather disctances is by getting into a better and more tilted posture when swinging. That is if you continue to use the chopping motion the exact same as the first progression of the drill.

I think someone showed the magic of a golf swing where it really wasn't what you thought it was, it was body posture. i look at this drill the same way. If i get into an extended position and then go back to the first start position i can get to the extended position to pound the ball down and pound it to center field all by keeping my hands extended in the same position but and only changing body posture.

To me it is this body tilt on a normal swing with the hands at the shoulder that creates the 'barrel turn' that everyone sees. Then after the turn, the hands are 'released' /'chopped' to the ball. The chop is the same action the posture is the only thing that should change.

again, just my opinion from trying the drill myself and trying to show my DD the purpose of it. She felt the drill was stupid but i think it is helping her keeps her hands and body in better positions. That being said, she still struggles alot but i think she is understanding better.

Haley would also often drop her hands especially in an attempt to speed up. The difference , is I told her to stop trying time me or the ball and get to her launch position early and hold. This helped because I feel she needs to get to that position on every pitch but , as you know, the hands Will follow the ball down. She was cleaner and smoother in her swings or chops as they are. I think it’s very helpful for several reasons. The ability to get to the launch position as the ball is moving and letting the ball get very deep is helping Haley A lot. we use it as a warm up and I’ve noticed her front toss hits are better sooner.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Hey Mike, what's happening with the back elbow in this drill? Or is that part of the change you made?

Thanks

She was moving late and all over the place so I told her to get to her launch position early and basically wait for the ball. Once she establishes she can do that , I’ll as her to go back to her normal stance position. So, the back elbow was slotted early and barrel heading rearward

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Hope this doesn't come off wrong, but the looks as though it's teaching someone how to play hit "pepper"...that we've been playing for as far back as I can remember (which btw is a good drill in and of itself for all involved)...for those not familiar with the term.
That’s exactly what it is “Pepper” My understanding of pepper was to see the ball hit the sweet spot of the bat and to control the direction of the ball with barrel angle. Similar but the direction in down progressively moving forward until hitting low line drives.

Jun 8, 2016
Yes Pattar did mention that (silver star on its way) and I was going to credit him but my typing is slower than his... I’m 😐 sorry.

some wonderful comments and observations, thank all
My silver star should be withheld until I can actually help my own kid..lol.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
My silver star should be withheld until I can actually help my own kid..lol.
That why it’s not the gold one ☝ as you wish

BTW I got the feeling your helping her on a lot of different things beside hitting But your gonna have to wait Several years to see it. I know telling you to be patient and enjoy the ride sounds like and old Bee Gees song but try and hv fun.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi