Haley’s HLP lesson with Richard

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
the goal is to stay over or behind the rear leg, if she’s in front we’ve lost our coil and leverage.

This is a critical factor for Maddie. When she gets in front of the rear hip, things fall apart - timing, bat path, and power. Understanding and adopting the mechanics of working on top of and behind the rear hip/leg was an important step in the development of Maddie's swing.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I am. I check with a vertical line though the middle of the head compared with the rear hip at toe touch, launch/heel down, and contact.
Here's a comparison at launch. Left = good / Right = bad

Turner...

I like the position on the right. Looks more balanced, eyes are leveler, shoulders downhill and hands ahead of the elbow. Just goes to show there different strokes for different folks.

Reactions: TDS
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I like the position on the right. Looks more balanced, eyes are leveler, shoulders downhill and hands ahead of the elbow. Just goes to show there different strokes for different folks.

Front side weighted too early, timing is early, downhill barrel path. I agree with the "different strokes" part. For my DD, this is a recipe for failure that has proven itself more times than I can count over a lot of years.

Sorry, Mike. Back to Haley...

Jun 8, 2016
That isn’t toe touch...she is already slotting..

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
We used to use the ques of square up deep and square up behind the ball. And spend a lot of time practicing hitting oppo. And I often felt like the “rear leg driven swing” was actually more of a back driven swing. I usually taught a slightly to aggressively turned in rear leg, a preset coil, and the swing was driven by the hands and back launching back against the preset coil. The goal of squaring up deep in the zone fit the swing well.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
We used to use the ques of square up deep and square up behind the ball. And spend a lot of time practicing hitting oppo. And I often felt like the “rear leg driven swing” was actually more of a back driven swing. I usually taught a slightly to aggressively turned in rear leg, a preset coil, and the swing was driven by the hands and back launching back against the preset coil. The goal of squaring up deep in the zone fit the swing well.
Wow, a response from RHC! Nice to see you're still out there.

Eric, the photos you posted of Maddie show what I talked about when I would say that when BB hit, sometimes she would say that her inner thigh was worn out from hitting. Look at the lines you drew to see what I am referencing.

Sep 17, 2009
RHC! :)

Sep 17, 2009
One element of one-legged that doesn't get talked about as much any more is the idea of the pivot point. There is going to be rotation in the swing. You can pivot around a point in your rear hip. You can post to your front leg and rotate around a point in your front hip. I think we all agree that's not ideal. You can also pivot around 'both', ie the pelvis as a unit (front and rear hips) rotating together. That's long and slow. The pivot point is a useful thing to play around with in a swing and can be found in most ground-leveraged power movements -- throwing a punch, overhand pitching off a mound, windmill pitching, an aggressive tennis forehand, etc.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma