Haley’s HLP lesson with Richard

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 3, 2021
I can see how this could help certain hitters tremendously. Kids that don’t know how to snap their wrists and ones that get too far out on their front foot too early.

To me there is a big difference between hitting off a strong front leg where there is weight transfer but the body stays over the back leg and just hitting of the back leg with little to no weight transfer. My DD is often guilty of the latter.

Also the extreme raising of the front arm and shoulder while staying on the back leg completely are not an advantage in my opinion. Again something my daughter struggles with. Why one at bat is a homer to center and the next (reverting back to what i just mentioned Im concerned with) is a massively topped ground ball barehanded by the pitcher on a similar fastball.

He absolutely has some great drills to balance out a certain swing. I just don’t see what he demonstrates with his personal swing as remotely helpful for a girl like my daughter or that shares any significant mechanics with Aaron Judge or Barry Bonds.

Each of them the hips come slightly forward with the stride and there is a STRONG weight transfer exerted against a solid front side ( keeping the body over the back leg but not on it) as the hips pivot to drive to the ball. Both show initial knob to ball and exploding the wrists and barrel threw the ball at point of contact in time with the weight transfer. A swing can then finish shoulder to shoulder, one handed,or a high finish after staying relatively level through the hitting zone. It will all look very similar weather your breaking down Mike Trout or Cody Bellinger.

Jun 3, 2021
I believe he has great points and drills that even help big leaguers. But I see that they are picking up on certain points and improving their swing. Not trying to replicate it as he demonstrates.

Jun 3, 2021
Mike, your DD looks like a VERY strong athlete and ball player. Sky is the limit! I would just pay attention if she starts top spinning too many line drives or topping too many ground balls during live pitching and games. If not then she is doing great with this way of hitting. 👍

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Mike, your DD looks like a VERY strong athlete and ball player. Sky is the limit! I would just pay attention if she starts top spinning too many line drives or topping too many ground balls during live pitching and games. If not then she is doing great with this way of hitting. 👍
Thanks very nice of you appreciate the comments. She’s one of my high school players.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021
Your welcome and it’s well deserved. I must thank you for providing such great info for the rest of us to learn from and ponder over. I’ve certainly learned from it and picked up some things I want to try with my DD. Thank you for taking the time as you did not have to. Much appreciated.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Your welcome and it’s well deserved. I must thank you for providing such great info for the rest of us to learn from and ponder over. I’ve certainly learned from it and picked up some things I want to try with my DD. Thank you for taking the time as you did not have to. Much appreciated.

Over the years , I’ve learned from a lot of generous people on this site. I’m just sharing the journey’s of some wonderful kids I’m blessed to coach. Their swing aren’t perfect and I’m a flawed coach trying to get better everyday but If it helps others on their softball journey then I’m glad I posted.

If you want, post you daughter’s progress and let me know what drills specifically have or have not helped. Great job.

i‘m not saying I know everything about the HLP. I’ve studied this specific swing , had a hand full of lessons and several conversations with Richard . I don’t speak for him or get in to the debates over this swing working or not working, I find it boring and played out. Let work together to make the coaches on this site better so their daughters can benefit and enjoy the wonderful sport of softball. A lot of the principals of this swing could help with other swing mechanics If people looked at it with an open mind.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood