Guru Advice/Thoughts Welcomed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I have never been one to concern myself with speed too much. If my DD is hitting her spots and getting kids out I have never worried about too much other then being a measurable stat that shows growth. However, something has happened lately at her pitching instructors place that is driving me nuts.

Let me preface this by saying her instructors are two of the more well know and respected instructors in the state. So they have been using the Rev fire a lot to measure both spin obviously, and speed. Here in lies the conundrum, they are telling my daughter that she is hitting a top speed of 59 mph....hit 6 times in the last lesson. That's great right?......funny thing is though is the fastest I have ever gotten her on my pocket radar (ball coach version) is 55-56. Should I be letting this bother me as much as it is? In fact the weird thing about this whole thing is that the change up and the screw speeds are almost identical with rev fire and pocket radar....while the fastball and the drop 3-4 mph slower from rev fire to pocket radar....

Opinions and comments welcomed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The RevFire uses time measurement to calculate speed, so if the catcher is not set up the proper distance behind the plate or the display is set on the wrong distance (35', 40', 43') then the speed will be off. Normally the RevFire should be a couple MPH slower than a radar gun since it measures average speed vs. peak speed.

The RevFire uses time measurement to calculate speed, so if the catcher is not set up the proper distance behind the plate or the display is set on the wrong distance (35', 40', 43') then the speed will be off. Normally the RevFire should be a couple MPH slower than a radar gun since it measures average speed vs. peak speed.

This is what I thought......so you can understand that this is maddening. I am pretty sure we are set up at 43' since she pitches from 40' so three feet behind the plate would be 43 feet......I am losing sleep at night because of this...lol

Nov 18, 2013
I assume she's 12U throwing from 40'. If so, 55-56 is exceptional speed for that age so no need to lose sleep. Fifty-nine at 12U would be extremely rare so it's most likely the way the Rev Fire was set up as JAD explained.

My thought on radar speeds was since almost all the college coaches I saw had Pocket Radars, whatever the accuracy, that's the only speed that matters.

55-56 is a high speed...typically cruises at 53-54 for fastball.....just really bugs me that whole Rev fire thing. Trying to focus on just the spin numbers. And she just turned 13 and is still growing...5' 10" right now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
This is what I thought......so you can understand that this is maddening. I am pretty sure we are set up at 43' since she pitches from 40' so three feet behind the plate would be 43 feet......I am losing sleep at night because of this...lol

The RevFire is a good tool for measuring improvement in spin and speed if used correctly, but it can also be easily fooled into giving false readings by shortening the distance between the pitcher and catcher. Just don't be that parent who runs out and tells everyone "my DD throws 59 MPH" and you should be fine...

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
55-56 is a high speed...typically cruises at 53-54 for fastball.....just really bugs me that whole Rev fire thing. Trying to focus on just the spin numbers. And she just turned 13

???

The exact speed of your DD doesn't matter at her age. When she is 16YOA, then it will matter.

Right now, you should be asking, "Is she improving?" As long the radar gun is consistent, you can measure her progress.

The RevFire is a good tool for measuring improvement in spin and speed if used correctly, but it can also be easily fooled into giving false readings by shortening the distance between the pitcher and catcher. Just don't be that parent who runs out and tells everyone "my DD throws 59 MPH" and you should be fine...

I am way ahead of you on this one....told my DD we don't talk about this and if someone asks we will go with the speed I have her at with the Ball Coach. Last thing I need is a bunch of people gunning her and her not being close to the supposed speed.....just asking for a whole can of whoop a** to be opened there.

???

The exact speed of your DD doesn't matter at her age. When she is 16YOA, then it will matter.

Right now, you should be asking, "Is she improving?" As long the radar gun is consistent, you can measure her progress.

Agreed....just frustrating as I thought as long as they have been around and with their reputation they would be better at using the tools they have at hand.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck