ground ball hits runner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Ball hits base, then rebounds into runner standing on foul ground.

Ball is touched/touches fielder in fair ground, then goes to foul ground and hits runner.

There are several ways it can happen. ASA rules address this. Apparently, USSSA rules do not.

Ok, yes can happen but I have yet to ever see it happen. And as you said the rules do address those situations but as to the OP, Im not seeing how the umpires could be ruling the runner out for being hit by a line drive while in foul territory.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Ok, yes can happen but I have yet to ever see it happen. And as you said the rules do address those situations but as to the OP, Im not seeing how the umpires could be ruling the runner out for being hit by a line drive while in foul territory.

I'm not seeing it either. I guess that it's possible...about as possible as the runner in foul ground getting hit by a fair batted ball!

The only way I could see an out here is if the line drive was catchable by a fielder, but hitting the runner prevented it AND the runner was not in contact with the base when she got hit. You'd almost need to have the fielder playing at the bag like holding on a runner in baseball, or standing right on the line.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877