ground ball hits runner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2014
back with another rules question. runner on 1st, batter/runner hits ground ball between first and second and hits the runner, runner continues to run bases and defense attempts to make a play on her allowing the batter/runner to reach third base. defensive teams coach argues that it should have been called dead ball as soon as it hit the runner. umpire tells him that the play stands because after she was hit, they(defense), attempted to make a play. what is the correct call, we play by usssa rules.

Jun 22, 2008
The rule is, if the runner is hit by a fair batted ball before it passes an infielder, the ball is dead, the runner is out and the batter/runner is awarded 1st base. If the ball has passed an infielder and another player still has an opportunity to make a play, the ball is dead and the runner is out. But, if it has passed an infielder and no other player has an opportunity to make a play the runner is not out and the ball remains live.

If the umpire in your situation was saying the runner was out for being hit by the batted ball, but allowed play to continue he was wrong. The ball should have been dead immediately. But, if he did not rule the runner out, then the ball was live and play continues.

May 11, 2014
thanks for the quick reply. yea umpire blew the call (opposing coach almost argued too long). the "they attempted to make a play" commented was what confused me. this was the same umpire that missed the obstruction call awhile back. wish we could get better umpire/umpires when these two teams play, as both teams are almost identical(they have a couple better players but we have more good players) and every game will have "controversy" and that's not good for younger players to have to witness.

Mar 15, 2014
thanks for the quick reply. yea umpire blew the call (opposing coach almost argued too long). the "they attempted to make a play" commented was what confused me. this was the same umpire that missed the obstruction call awhile back. wish we could get better umpire/umpires when these two teams play, as both teams are almost identical(they have a couple better players but we have more good players) and every game will have "controversy" and that's not good for younger players to have to witness.
My 18U played today and we were blessed with two mature, outstanding umpires.
Great strike zone, no blown calls, no arguing and the BU actually knew the obstruction rule and how/when to call it.
Sure makes life a lot easier.

VA Chris

Actually Read the Rules
Jun 13, 2013
Some field, Somewhere
To add to the conversation, can someone please explain why some coaches/umpires have it in their head that base runners standing in foul territory are some how immune to batted balls?

Seems that this pops up at least two or three times a season. Situation is always the same, runner on third takes lead on the right side of the third base foul line. Batter hits a line drive that hits 3B runner, HU calls 3B runner out and coaches begin the argument that she was in foul territory and is not out.

There are items A-X that cover why a runner is out in USSSA and none mention anything about standing in foul territory. Item N does state a fair-batted ball. Could this be the source of the confusion?

Jun 22, 2008
The ASA rules say the same thing. How can a runner be hit by a "fair" batted ball while standing in foul territory? The balls fair/foul status is determined by its position when first touched. If it is over foul territory when touched it is foul. If umpires are calling runners out for being hit by line drives while clearly standing in foul territory it is the umpires who are confused, not the coaches and the coaches should be arguing the point and even protesting.

VA Chris

Actually Read the Rules
Jun 13, 2013
Some field, Somewhere
Comp
So your using the definition of a foul ball to cover the base runner?

I see where you're going with this. After our games yesterday I talked with 2 umpires and they both agreed they would call the 3B runner out. As I stated this is not the first time this has happened. The way I understand this rules intention is to stop base runners from intentionally disrupting the ability of infielders to have a play on the ball.

To muddy the waters, if the 3B runner purposely stops in foul territory and allows a foul pop up to hit her, would this then fall under interference? I am chasing down the idea that a 3B runner blocks the 3rd Baseman from potentially catching a pop up/weak hit, that is in foul territory.

Jun 22, 2008
Now you are talking about interference, not being hit by a fair batted ball. There is no way I would call interference on a runner standing in foul territory that gets drilled by a screaming line drive. When you start talking about lazy pop ups and purposely standing in the way of the fielder trying to get to the ball, then yes the runner could be out for interference.

If the umpires are calling the runners out for being hit by line drives they would be wrong in their rules interpretations.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
How can a runner be hit by a "fair" batted ball while standing in foul territory?

Ball hits base, then rebounds into runner standing on foul ground.

Ball is touched/touches fielder in fair ground, then goes to foul ground and hits runner.

There are several ways it can happen. ASA rules address this. Apparently, USSSA rules do not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy