Great in the cage, fear in the box...need help!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 11, 2010
My dd hits excellent in the cage off the machine, even off of me throwing to her from about 15ft. When we get to game situation. She is visibly nervous, feet moving, and stepping out. She completely loses her mechanics. Any help is appreciated.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
My first thought on that description is, she is afraid of being hit by a pitch.

She knows the pitching machine isn't going to hit her. It always throws strikes. Daddy isn't going going to hit her. Every girl trusts daddy. Well, except mine. I've hit her too many times. Mine knows daddy is crappy pitcher.

I'd suggest getting her strapped up in catchers gear and having her catch some of your pitchers at practice, at thier private pitching lessons and/or make arrangements to meet up a the park so DD can catch some. Trust me, the pitchers parent(s) will appreciate the occasional break from sitting on the bucket. Your DD will get to see a lot of pitches coming down the pipe and be able to tell much better where the ball is coming in across the plate and get used to seeing the ball come at her. I prefer that to the sometimes suggested method of just throwing pitches at her until she stop flinching.

Another possibility could be her vision. If she has eyeglasses is she wearing them? I've had to threaten mine with the hot glue gun on occasion to get her to remember to wear them for softball. If she doesn't currently have glasses, when was her last eye exam? If she's having trouble seeing the ball I'd rank that pretty high on the scary list. If none of that applies and seeing the ball is determined the problem I'd suggest searching this forum for the vision and focus drills that have been discussed here. I'd imagine they would fit the bill for helping her see the ball better.

Oct 19, 2009
One thing I did with some younger kids is get a soft spongey like ball have them set up in the batters box with a bat and throw the ball at them. Once they get confident that they can get out of the way of most pitches they become more confident in the batters box.

Getting over that fear takes time and patience from the coach or parent so be undestanding.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
How old is she?

It can be a long frustrating battle. I've worked with kids now for about 6 years and have worked with them up through high level 14U and 16U play. I have started all over with my 9 year old and now days first and foremost I am truthful with the kids I work with today.

I tell them:

Against decent pitching there is nearly a 100% chance they WILL NOT be successful unless they stay in the box and overcome this fear.

They are basically conceeding a free out to the other team which is unfair to our team

It is obvious to the other team that you are afraid and they will take full advantage of it.

I tell them I will put a white flag in the dugout and if they choose they can wave it and conceed the out rather than go up to the plate full of fear.

IF you will decide to do everything in your power at this time to overcome your fear, be honest about it and strive to overcome it THEN I can help you and I understand it won't happen right away.

You will eventually overcome this fear. The only question is how many bad at bats and games where you will go home secretly disappointed and ashamed of yourself will you go through before you tackle it head on and deal with it.

I want to make it emotionally painful for them to be comfortable with this fear.

Tough words for 10 year olds I know. That's why I do all I can to build their trust and keep things light hearted whenever I can in other aspects of our practice. That way they know this is serious business. I know of no drill, spongy ball, padding or anything else to help until the player decides it is more emotionally painful to stay the way they are than to change.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Mo, did you catch the 2 threads on this subject (below) about using a machine?

I kinda compare it to the difference between singing in the shower and then singing in front of the congregation, one isn't going to prepare you to do the other.

From here on out, I would only work with her outside or on a diamond, if possible. I also like t-work in the garage.

If you can't pitch underhand to her, get a bucket of used tennis balls from a racquet club and throw overhand to her. Then, as you finish up, move closer to her and throw a few underhand.

Let us know how it goes.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
One thing I did with some younger kids is get a soft spongey like ball have them set up in the batters box with a bat and throw the ball at them. Once they get confident that they can get out of the way of most pitches they become more confident in the batters box.

Getting over that fear takes time and patience from the coach or parent so be undestanding.

We teach them how to get hit by the pitch and explain it will happen some day so lets prepare them and show them how and why we do it this way!

I have a ball on a stick and they are instructed to turn rearward when they think they will be hit. They simply turn and tuck the elbows and hands inward and point the bat head down towards the ground. It has nothing to do with hitting the bat for a strike as I want them to hang onto it and hide it so they protect everything else in the process.

This protects the elbows, hand, fingers and points the knee caps toward the umpire.

Then in this position I gently tap them with the ball on the stick to show them where they are going to get hit is just flesh and not the bone, fingers, hands or elbows and we can play bruised but not broken!

Many of the hitters that do get hurt are trying to back out of the box and take it in the ribs, elbow, forearm, hands, fingers or knee cap.

Then I throw tennis balls at them and they practice turning out of the way.

You may be surprised when you explain it is going to happen some day so be ready and wear that bruise when a badge of honor as you trot down to first and remember do not rub it! LOL!

Thanks Howard