" Hey blue, she's outta the box.........uh, what box?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
Worked a field today with no batting boxes and the plate was a bit forward of the foul lines, terrible setup. As we all know, umpires aren't responsible for chalking the field, so we played on it. A lefty batter came up and her right foot was way out towards first stepping on the foul line. Coach was complaining she's outta the box, but I had to let it go, since you know the other coach would say "what box is she out of" if there was a proper box, she'd probably be stepping out of it, but no box is no box. Mind you I wouldn't let her stand 5 feet in front of the plate, but in this case I couldn't say anything. What day you?

Feb 13, 2021
MI
proper 'no-call'. If HC makes a big enough deal about it, you can always scratch in a box, but make it very over-size

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
The front part of the box is 4' from mid-plate. If you wouldn't let a batter stand 5' in front of the plate, why would you allow someone to set up "way out towards first stepping on the foul line"? If a player is placing a foot well outside where you understand a drawn box to be, I don't understand why you wouldn't call that. Like so many other things an umpire decides, it's a judgement call. If a coach complains, you explain your reasoning and then send him back to his dugout. There's nothing he can do about it.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
The front part of the box is 4' from mid-plate. If you wouldn't let a batter stand 5' in front of the plate, why would you allow someone to set up "way out towards first stepping on the foul line"? If a player is placing a foot well outside where you understand a drawn box to be, I don't understand why you wouldn't call that. Like so many other things an umpire decides, it's a judgement call. If a coach complains, you explain your reasoning and then send him back to his dugout. There's nothing he can do about it.

Yes. The lines exist, whether they are visible or not.
Calling a player out of the box requires you to be 100% sure they are COMPLETELY out of the box at contact (unless NCAA rules of course)

When the lines have been removed/blurred/etc, this changes how you call it, because you no longer have any line to see, so being certain is much harder. So to be 100% sure they are truly out of the box, it has to be very obvious - like stepping in front of the plate for example.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020
2020 no chalk at all. No issues with blues decisions. These things are only problems because people make them so. Make the call.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles