Great hitter in practice but not in games. HELP!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Briscos

Looking for batting tips!
May 15, 2012
Please please help me help my daughter! My 8 year old daughter went from the top batting average in our pitching machine league last year to no hits in 9 games in live arm this year. In practice, she hits great but her mind is getting to her in the games. She swings at bad pitches and watches the good ones. It is killing me b/c I feel helpless. I am her coach and I haven't been able to get her hitting in a game yet. We have 7 more games. She has been an allstar the past 2 years and she is by far one of the best fielders in our 9-10 year old league(we moved her up a year early). Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can help her conquer her fears at the plate in the game??

Feb 15, 2011
FL
Tell her to have fun. See the ball, hit the ball. Don't mention another thing. Don't let her hear you talk to anyone unless you tell them to just have fun and don't worry. Not sure if they will believe you , but it's amazing how they pick up on our anxiety and make it their own. I believe she is getting too wound up, hears you mention to swing the bat, then when she does, it's a gopher ball. The cycle will continue until she starts having fun again.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Make certain that she is not hitting off of a machine at this point, only soft toss and pitching from the front. She probably just needs to improve her timing.

Briscos

May 15, 2012
No machine

Make certain that she is not hitting off of a machine at this point, only soft toss and pitching from the front. She probably just needs to improve her timing.

Yeah, she hasn't hit off a machine except once this year and that was before season, before we decided to move her up to live arm. Her timing is great. It's just all mental. She is a basket case when she gets in the batters box in a game. I know my stressing isn't helping her any either. :( Thanks

Briscos

May 15, 2012
You said it. It's EXACTLY that she's getting too wound up. I am constantly telling her to relax in the batters box. She is so tense. You can see it all over her. She has a "deer in the headlights look." I know I have been too hard on her until the last couple games. I let up on her b/c I know I'm not helping her any by riding her. She is definitely NOT having fun with it neither. It used to be so much fun to her. In the field she's relaxed and plays so well but it's another story when it's time to bat and that used to be her favorite part of the game.

Briscos

May 15, 2012
Oh and yes, I know my stress is not helping her. My husband said it's up to her, you can't do it for her so when she decides to relax and hit the ball, she will. She went from 4th in my lineup to last. It's so sad. :(

Oct 10, 2011
mental

Yeah, she hasn't hit off a machine except once this year and that was before season, before we decided to move her up to live arm. Her timing is great. It's just all mental. She is a basket case when she gets in the batters box in a game. I know my stressing isn't helping her any either. :( Thanks

A lot of the time players go into the box with high expectations, and when they are not met (like hitting a home run etc) they get into a mental funk and things get worse from there. Have her set attainable goals, (only swinging at good pitches, or just watching the ball the whole way in etc...) If she makes it on base, that's a big bonus, but just go for the easier goals at first. Go over these goals in practice. Before the game, maybe remind her to just focus on her goals and to have fun.
My two cents:)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She's 8. What are you going to do when the games actually mean something? Don't let her think that there is something wrong with batting last, although the coach actually should be moving them around. And do not keep her batting average. I am serious when I say, take a book or something with you and relax. Either that or you can't go to the games.

(Been there, done that and am not being critical of you.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut