GoPro/LynkSpyder

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 9, 2015
You are correct on the internal battery. It will not last an entire game, in most cases. An external battery is required. Either via the USB port using the skeleton case (which has side port openings), or using the battery eliminator cable, plugged into the 30 pin port on the rear of the camera. If you go this route, you will have to remove the small flap of plastic that covers this 30 pin port. A rotary tool works best, but you can score the plastic with a razor blade and break off with pliers.

When the Hero 4 Silver is set to 1080p/60, you should have capacity on a 64GB card for 4 hours and 20 minutes. If you don't, it is possible that you have ProTune enabled. ProTune is a GoPro version of raw video. This stores more information needed for color correct and other post production needs. But it stores extra data and really isn't needed in most cases, and requires entirely too much work for each game, in my opinion.

Finally got around to checking my GoPro settings at my ProTune is set to OFF. Settings are 1080p/60fps, medium field of view. We were playing two 75 minute drop dead games back to back. Recorded maybe 2 hours....but it was using my 32GB card (above I stated 64GB).

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I use the 1080/30 option, have a 64gb card, and an external battery. I can record 3-4 games on the card, and the battery will run forever, it has never even been pushed, losing only 1 bar for the weekend.

Which 64 card are you using? I originally had a 64 card but I kept getting errors so I only use the high speed 32 cards now. I can get 2 75 min games on each card if I pause the half innings.

Edit: I see your edit and added this :)

May 10, 2013
USA
Which 64 card are you using? I originally had a 64 card but I kept getting errors so I only use the high speed 32 cards now. I can get 2 75 min games on each card if I pause the half innings.

Edit: I see your edit and added this :)

I have 2, SanDisk Extreme Plus 64gb, and a Lexar 6333x 64gb. I have had no trouble with either card.

Jul 23, 2014
Midwest
SanDisk, Lexars, Samsungs, PNYs are all good. You'll want to get 64GBs or larger if you record a lot. 32GB's if you only get a couple games/weekend.

Main thing you want to look for when you buy a card is the transfer rate. 85MB/sec transfer rate minimum for recording HD. Anything lower and you'll get glitchy, error-ridden video.

**Edit** Can't just look for Class 10 anymore, I've seen a lot of 65/MB and slower transfer rate cards out there labeled as Class 10.

Last edited:

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
SanDisk, Lexars, Samsungs, PNYs are all good. You'll want to get 64GBs or larger if you record a lot. 32GB's if you only get a couple games/weekend.

Main thing you want to look for when you buy a card is the transfer rate. 85MB/sec transfer rate minimum for recording HD. Anything lower and you'll get glitchy, error-ridden video.

**Edit** Can't just look for Class 10 anymore, I've seen a lot of 65/MB and slower transfer rate cards out there labeled as Class 10.

Totally agree with what was said above. We talk, on our web site, that a quality card is king. Don't skimp on the card. A fast 32 is far better than a cheap 64. The list GoPro provides online is probably the best information:
https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations

The high end devices have 90/95MB transfer rates. Before I started using these cards, I would have shutdowns about every other tournament. Now I have none. When the camera shuts down because of the card, it generally corrupts the last segment that was recorded.

In a slightly related note, Samsung just came out with a 256GB EVO MicroSD card. To my knowledge, GoPro can only accommodate cards up to 128GB. It is possible that they will send a firmware update down to resolve this. But with the Hero 5 most likely coming out later in the year, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Mar 24, 2014
Thanks put that on my wish list for the next time I place an order exactly what I was looking for!

I ordered this exact skeleton housing but from another distributer and it works very nice. Do get some dust in the open area I just carry a can of canned/compressed air to blow out the dust.

Mar 24, 2014
I am looking for input on the GoPro app for iPhone. I just downloaded it and paired it with my GoPro camera. Works nice I was able to view video on my iPhone. How do you use it during games? I am an assistant coach (1st base, scorekeeper, dugout...wherever I am needed I guess) so I won't be able to mess around with the camera during the game. Also, have a tournament this weekend would like to try it out so looking for suggestions on what features people found useful.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06