GoPro camera shuts down in the heat...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
For those dealing with heat issues that shut your GoPro cameras down, here are some things we've learned over the last couple of years:

1.) WiFi causes heat
2.) Long recordings cause heat.
3.) Don't use cheap SD memory cards

On hot days (90 degrees (F) and up) it is best to turn WiFi off and to start and stop your recordings between innings. It is inconvenient, but we've found that it yields to best results. The results of turning the WiFi off are obvious. Starting and stopping between innings keeps the file sizes small, which helps the GoPro processor from over taxing; thereby reducing heat.

Lastly, GoPro has changed their recommendations on SD cards a couple of times. Not all class 10 cards are created equally. We have had nothing but trouble with SanDisk Ultra cards (which are class 10). However, we highly recommend the SanDisk Extreme Plus cards. When using these cards and following the recommendations above, we have been able to record up to 5 softball/baseball games in a day, even in extremely hit conditions.

Hope this helps,

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Thanks for the info. We may have experienced this yesterday. but been too swamped to double check.

We have been using a gopro, the lynkspyder bracket for the last three tournaments. Lots of questions about the camera and the bracket. ;)

Feb 3, 2011
Good post. I use the Ion Air Pro and didn't realize until the other day that direct sunlight and extreme heat would cause a shutdown. Instead of fashioning a visor, I just brought a plastic baggy, filled it with a few ice cubes, and then placed it on top of the camera. This jerry-rigging allowed the camera to work all day with no issues.

I'm still not quite sure how my USB backup battery pack works, though.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I use my GoPro to film our mud bog runs. Never had it overheat even in the water proof protector, which I guess means no air circulation either. Keep in mind it's mounted and running on my dashboard, heat in the upper 90's, for hours.

What I've heard, is the newer GP models are having these issues. I have the first generation.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
What I've heard, is the newer GP models are having these issues. I have the first generation.

I do believe there is something to that. The newer GoPro camera's shoot at a higher bit rate and the processor has to work so hard. This is why the quality of the memory card is so important because the cheaper cards get bogged down. I even think that the 3+ cameras are experiencing heat issues even more so than the 3's.

Has anyone tried the heatsink cases? Fat Cat is one name I've seen, there are probably others.

I have not, but will poll my customers to see if they have. I hadn't heard of them, but they look pretty solid. Thanks for the tip.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Is it possible to stream live using a GoPro silver?

It is possible to stream a GoPro with some hacks. However, the best way to do it is to use some sort of external broadcaster, such as the Broadcaster from "livestream.com" and the VidiU "Teredek.com". They connect to the HDMI port on the camera and use Wifi to broadcast. It's doable, but expensive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles